4 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Glowing report in the Record from Elisa Ung, with an interesting side mention of another upcoming restaurant

Bronzino dishes can often be simple to the point of boring, but the self-taught Chacon presents two flawless crisp-skinned filets balancing one on top of the other, daring you to dunk them in the lemony broth underneath. Do it, and enjoy as the fish, skin still crisp, soaks up the tart broth. This hearty but light summer entrée is rounded out by potatoes, olives and spinach ($30).

080114-f-dineeggplant-bd-50p.jpg
kevin r. wexler/staff photographer
One of the Mediterranean restaurant's signature dishes is smoked eggplant over black tahini.

One of the most interesting dishes, the smoked eggplant over black tahini, is courtesy of consulting chef Eli Kachlon, a native of Israel who is opening another restaurant, Novo, in Ridgewood this fall. Since last year, Kachlon has helped refocus Mezza's menu with some compelling Middle Eastern flavors. The appetizer consists of smoked eggplant, its skin stripped off and mixed in tahini to make a dark sauce. The eggplant is rounded out with salty feta cheese and silan, a syrup made from dates ($12 for the appetizer).

- See more at: http://www.northjers...h.V4D6n3Ba.dpuf

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Sounds very interesting...thanks for the heads up...

#3 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

Had dinner this week at Mezza...and it was excellent. Nice, quiet, BYO place, with a nice, casual, ambiance. It's casual, but you know you are in a "nice place" and what goes along with that. High ceilings so the noise from large groups could travel a bit -- but I don't like those quiet, wax museum type places, LOL.

So, we started with the spring rolls, a very nice Mediterranean-style version, light, but crispy dough, very good compliment of vegetables, with a spinach and nut sauce. Very, very good. We also had the cauliflower appetizer, which was also excellent, with some raisins, toasted pine nuts, scallions, and a very flavorful tahini type sauce. I was hoping to try the octopus appetizer, but not this time, LOL. For the entrees, we had grilled skirt steak -- very nice flavor and taste here, prepared perfectly as ordered, served with a "potato cake" (sliced potatoes, squared off, layered with a bit of cheese and herbs, served in a cake-square -- very good! I wish it was bigger! LOL), and sauteed brussel sprouts and a tomato type relish and a very nice rosemary sauce. We also had the sauteed shrimp entree -- and this was a monster winner!!! Served with orzo, and a wine/tomato cream sauce, basil and small pieces of feta cheese. Bam!!! A real winner. Lots of flavor and taste.

Now, dessert, which we weren't going to get...forget that! Get the fritter tree points or whatever they call it!!! More dessert fritter than zeppoli, they are served and stuck onto a piece of art, a metal-frame tree with the fritters stuck on the end. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't,, because when I saw it, I just wanted to eat it! LOL. So, it's this small piece of art -- table top size -- very nice, with the branch ends being a small, spike end, and the fritters stuck on the end. These were served with two sauces -- a very nice chocolate sauce, and a lemon cream sauce. The fritters were dense, but in a good way, crispy on the outside, dense, but still airy a bit on the inside. They had substance and that made it more than some light, airy, shi-shi thing, LOL. It was very good, with an excellent presentation.

Service was very good, and attentive -- they were very good with water, asking if you wanted more pita bread (it was warm and nice), keeping wine glasses filled, etc.

This place is very good! Excellent. Well worth the trip. I would and will go back, in a heat-beat.

#4 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

Nice review E.L.A. I went to the Mezza in Livingston (and wrote it up in the forgotten Northeast section). The food was very good, but the service was very slow & amateurish which ruined it for us. It sounds like they really have their act together in Westwood (food and service).

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:37 AM

Thanks...I vaguely knew about the one in Livingston, and of course had never been. I had been wanting to go to the one in Westwood for a very long time. Many friends raved about it, and a few people I know in the industry like it very much. I happen to like their tastes, have similar tastes, etc. -- so I had wanted to go for a long time. Who knows what happens, but I never made it. LOL. Finally, I was looking for a place on a Sunday night -- my first choice was closed, and I decided Mezza it is. LOL.

The service here was good. Poor service, especially amateurish service, can certainly ruin a dinner for me. A personal gripe is when they don't clear plates. Then, the server shows up with your entrees, his/her hands are full, and they can't clear the plates! LOL. Or, they don't replace plates, etc. I've had servers take away utensils, without replacing them, and dessert is on the way. LOL. Whatever it is, I hear you. Here it was very good. Attentive, but not overly intrusive, and paying attention to water glasses, pita bread, and even more, the server was able to provide insight on some of the dishes. The service wasn't a perfect score, but different people like different things, however, it certainly was very good. 

I'd like to get back and go to Baci, which I haven't been to in a long time, and Granita Grill, which I used to like very much. The latter was a nice, family owned/operated Italian place, BYO, with some good, quality, good flavors and taste food. It's a nice, casual, local kind of place, where I always enjoyed my meal. And if I was more in the mood for a burger -- Finnegan's is right around the corner. LOL. Davey's isn't far either!