5 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I would really appreciate a few tried and tested veggie burger recipes. I have a vegetarian friend visiting and it would be nice to have beef burgers for the kids and veggie ones for her and myself (I love a really good veg burger.) 

I used to cobble together ones with black beans way back when I was avoiding meat, but while they tasted good, they tended to fall apart and didn't have that slightly resistant texture I associate with a good burger. There is chain in Munich that is really popular for its regular burgers (thin, grey, flavorless) but their veggie ones are fantastic and they're made of vegetables, not weird protein compounds. So I know it is possible. 

A general approach would be helpful. Eggs to bind? Or something else? What about breadcrumbs? Vegetables vs. beans vs. tofu vs. weird mince substitutes (ugh.)? 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

ground mushrooms bound with rice, oat, or chick pea flour work well you can crust them with breadcrumbs to make them hold together and get a nice crisp crust. total umami bomb.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Lots of good ideas here: Melissa Clark's Ultimate Veggie Burger. I like the idea of roasting the ingredients first: Also the mayo for moisture trick. And the tempeh/rice for nubby texture trick. Hmm. What's nice is you could probably do part or all of them depending on time.

MIght try with the above, but roasting the black beans and adding chipotle in adobo. A cliche maybe, but a good one.  :)

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

this is very close to what i described above. i'd probably use dried porcinis for more umami punch. i may try this myself substituting the soy and oats with gf tamari and rice or chickpea flour. also you can use a dried falafel mix to make a nice burger, if you add an egg to bind it won't fall apart

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

That looks good. There will definitely be some mushrooms in there, whichever one I try. I don't know about dried falafel mix. I have broad beans and chick peas in my pantry already, as well as middle eastern spice mix. Could do something with that. (Side project: trying to work down my stores ahead of the move...) 

-Chomskybot

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,794 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I've been buying these guys for the last month.. It's 7 dollars for 12 hot dogs.. I buy buns, i am making my own saurkraut, i have pickled peppers, i have relish and of course I have mustards..  It's 50 calories a dog and another 100 or so for the bun.. I now double up the dog and do a variety of toppings.. I usually eat that with a side of steamed broccoli or cauliflower.. 

It's fun, I toast the bun, there is variation.. Also, it's filling, it's quick and it's fun.. 

Mustard game is strong, or at least plentiful .

26133891898_9d651ddd77_c.jpg

Today, i made my first double dog.. It's genius and it makes a much better dog.. 

there is no pretty way to do this.. here is the double dog, surrounded by papers..3 minutes to toast, 1.5 minutes to microwave, 3 minutes to eat, 5 minutes to write about it.  lunch in less than 11 minutes 5 or 6 on a normal day.. Plus i can eat it while walking to the warehouse. 

40006325241_ef46e76dd7_c.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.