23 replies to this topic

#1 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

If you were headed to Seattle with no notice and you had 2 nights to dine in the city, where would you go? I'm open it anything although I generally prefer not to do fine dining solo. I'd love things that are lesser strengths of NY, whether seafood or Vietnamese or anything else, really. I'm staying at Hotel 1000, which I THINK is downtown, but I'm very willing to travel within reason.

Ideas are very welcome- I don't see much of a recent generalist thread here.

Thanks!

#2 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Absolutely you need to go to Walrus and the Carpenter. It's a short cab ride away in a neighborhood called Ballard. If you can, get there right when they open and sit at the bar. Even if you can't, as a solo, the wait shouldn't be too long. They have opened a bar next door called Barnacle so you can put your name in there and have a cocktail while you wait.

When are you coming? If the weather is good, Westward is a great place too. It's also a short cab ride from downtown right on the shore of Lake Union. Seaplanes fly overhead, you can see the space needle and houseboats. It's very Seattle.

Closer to your hotel is Matt's in the Market. It's right in Pike Place Market and has great food.

Two really good Vietnamese places are both in what we call the ID (International District) other would call Chinatown. Tamarind Tree is more upscale with a nice decor and good cocktails. Green Leaf has a more utilitarian dining room but has equally good food. Green Leaf has a second location just north of downtown but it's underground and kind of funky.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add, yes the Hotel 1000 is downtown. Pioneer Square is just South of the hotel. It's one of Seattle's oldest, most crusty, neighborhoods and has been having quite the resurgence lately. There are tons of new places open and I've been to only a couple of them. The neighborhood can be a bit sketchy after hours so be sure to cab home if you decide to check out the area at night.

Here's the Eater archives for the neighborhood.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

if you do go to green leaf (which i'd recommend, based on a recent visit), don't get the pho, which is better elsewhere.

if you want good pho, go to pho bac, which has as good pho as you'll get, in a rather funky setting.  i have a good picture - let me see if i can find it.

man, i need a headache

#5 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

if you do go to green leaf (which i'd recommend, based on a recent visit), don't get the pho, which is better elsewhere.

if you want good pho, go to pho bac, which has as good pho as you'll get, in a rather funky setting.  i have a good picture - let me see if i can find it.

Good point, thanks for bringing that up. My favorite things at Green Leaf are the bahn xeo and the fresh rolls. They have a piece of fried wonton running through the spring rolls that gives it a great crunch.

#6 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm on board with Green Leaf if you want Vienamese.  Long is also very good, probably a bit 'nicer' than Green Leaf, not really better though.  Also closer to where you're staying.

I have a serious restaurant crush on Gastropod (www.gastropodsodo.com), which is located south of downtown.  Unique in Seattle, and I would be surprised if it's really comparable to any place in NYC. 

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Um, tighe, I think you meant http://www.gastropodsodo.com/menu/

(Wow, that's a strange way to organize the menu listings!)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

Sorry for the fat fingering.  Should copy and paste.  Thanks.

Yes, the menu format is emblematic of the whole place.  Not for people who prefer structured, conventional dining.  On the other hand, surprising, delicious, deeply personal food.

#9 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

One of the new places in Pioneer Square that Lauren referred to is Damn the Weather (damntheweather.com).  Only been once, but really liked it.  More of a bar than real restaurant, good place for a drink and a snack.  Best Seattle restaurant name maybe ever....

#10 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Was at Damn the Weather last night. Can confirm it's good...also Jay (from Sambar) works Wednesdays and Thursdays...but, yes, more bar than restaurant.

#11 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thank you guys!  As it turned out, other people picked on both nights.  I ended up at Pink Door (right at Ferry building) and at Resto.  The food at Resto was pretty shockingly mediocre given the hype my friend had sent me about it.  Pink Door was as expected- a very wonderful seasonal fish special and overdry meatballs as a side to share.  

I had a nice lunch at the Steelhead diner (delicious fish and chips) as well as a truly wonderful yogurt from Ellenos and coffee from Seattle Coffee Roasters.  I would have liked to visit more of the independent coffee shops, but unfortunately I didn't have a lot of free time.

I will definitely follow these recs next time!

#12 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

Never heard of Resto before, sorry it wasn't good.  I'm a long-time Pink Door hater, but haven't been for probably 15 years, so shouldn't comment on the current incarnation.  I almost suggested Steelhead (and sister restaurant Blueacre).  Not sure they're unique in style, but consistent in turning out good food, particularly fish.

#13 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Where is the best place to get small plates delivered at the kitchen's whim in Seattle?

After a number of terrific traditional restaurant meals in Portland, I may be ready for a little comparative test while all is fresh in my mind.

Ava Gene's in Portland is what I would want my neighborhood Italian restaurant to be like.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,234 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

Lark was a great small plate place, but they may insist on delivering dishes in a rational manner.

#15 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

There's the Fancy menu at Staple and Fancy.

You can do the entire menu at Blind Pig Bistro.

Chef's menu at Art of the Table.

What kind of feel are you going for?