23 replies to this topic

#16 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:07 AM

I would again suggest Gastropod, their whole menu is a nightly chef's whim.  Most items fall into the small plate category and a couple people can eat 4-6 dishes.

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#17 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

Actually just teasing about the small plates thing. Had a really good traditional dinner at Matt's in the Market. Dish of the night was braised rabbit over polenta with shaved white truffle. Ridiculously rich and delicious. Stopped before dinner at Radiator Whiskey and had a really good time. Great buzz, friendly crowd and servers and well made cocktails. The food didn't look shabby either, especially the special ordered pig's head. Maybe next time.

Brunch earlier today at Revel in Fremont. Brilliant breakfast sandwich of housmade sausage served in Bahn Mi style with an added fried egg. My wife had the porridge with shrimp, thai basil, and a poached egg. All washed down with Kimchee Bloody Mary's. A lot of soul coming from the kitchen.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#18 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

What kind of crowd was at Radiator Whiskey when you were there? I've avoided going because the last couple of times it was full of high fiven', wooting, bro's. Each table trying to prove they had more testosterone than the other.

How long are you in town?

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#19 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

I thought the crowd at Radiator Whiskey was kind of grown up. Was there from 8PM til 9:15 or so on Friday night. Maybe it gets worse later on.

I'm gone, took the red-eye back Saturday night. Capped off  Seattle with a good dinner at The Whale Wins before heading to the airport. May have had the best carrots I ever tasted. The carrots were roasted with fennel and mixed with harissa and a little yoghurt. Plus excellent roasted Romanesco in a parmagiana and cream , roasted clams (pretty good) and wonderful marrow bones.

Noticed several places in Portland and Seattle had a lot of vegetable dishes that were primarily roasted with some cheese, nuts and something spicy. An enjoyable combination for me.

Ambrose Bierce

#20 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Those carrots were a game changer for me. How had I never thought to do this before? Carrots cooked in cast iron in a 500 degree oven is my new go-to menthod. And you can mix anything into Greek yogurt for the sauce - even worcestershire sauce if you are feeling lazy.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#21 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

After being back less than a week and wandering around Manhattan today, I am desperate for a Portland/Seattle type place with good, solid, creative, reasonably priced food with an excellent selection of beer, wine and cocktails served by an unpretentious server with at least one tattoo.

Ambrose Bierce

#22 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

the le pigeon book has some great stuff in it.  good range of simple and involved recipes.

#23 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

After being back less than a week and wandering around Manhattan today, I am desperate for a Portland/Seattle type place with good, solid, creative, reasonably priced food with an excellent selection of beer, wine and cocktails served by an unpretentious server with at least one tattoo.

I thought that's what you had Brooklyn for....

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#24 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

I thought that's what you had Brooklyn for....

brooklyn fails the unpretentious test.

Ambrose Bierce