#1 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi Folks, 

After a quick work trip to Seattle last week, I'm headed to Portland on Monday.  I will have about 4 folks from our office for dinner on Monday.  

Some thoughts based on what I've seen:

Nedd Ludd

Little Bird

Ava Gene's

Ox

Castagna

Where should I be eating?  I don't know the city at all!

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

That's a good list.  Castagna is fantastic for more creative fine dining.  Little Bird (and Le Pigeon), very good.  Love Ox, they do both meat and veg well.  Both Olympic Provisions and Laurelhurst Market are very Portland and there's a slew of good casual places like Pok Pok, Apizza Scholls, Podnah's, Bunk.

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Just back from almost a week in Portland and Seattle. A quick recap:

I know it is a cliche but it is almost impossible to get a bad or even average cup of coffee in Portland. Favorites were Public Domain and Case Study. And the same can be said for cocktails. We did a major cocktail crawl on our last day which included Pepe Le Moko, Imperial, Clyde Common, Tasty and Alder and the new Barlow. Service was a little snooty at Clyde Common with the now famous Jeffrey Morganthaler in attendance and making drinks in between promoting his book. Otherwise, very friendly and welcoming. Other nights included stops at the Mutnomah Whiskey Library and Expatriate and we loved both of those. Generally speaking, I think the "specialty cocktails" on most of the lists here are better balanced than the "specialty cocktails" in New York which seem to me to be pushing the envelope on ingredients to be different.

And on to the food. Le Pigeon is a terrific little place just over the Burnside Bridge serving somewhat traditional Frenchified food in a very casual setting with very good service. Currently serving food perfect for a cold evening like short ribs, beef cheek bourguignon, escargot and calamari in a wine sauce, etc. And the now famous foie gras profiteroles for dessert.

Ava Gene's for rustic Italian food. I think the chef here is from Franny's. Lots of very good vegetable salads, pastas and somewhat of a surprise, main courses that do not disappoint. For our pasta course we had fusilli in a nut sauce. While I thought it would be sort of like pesto from reading the menu description, the waiter said it was very much like a bolognese sauce but made with nuts instead of meat. They slow cook the nuts so they get soft and sure enough, if you closed your eyes you would think you were eating a pork or beef ragu with a slight flavor of nuts. Pretty remarkable. A mixed grill of lamb for me which included a chop, roasted shoulder and a slice of tongue. My wife had Chinook Salmon, served very rare over a fall vegetable minestrone. All fantastic. Ended with a chocolate sorbet which tasted like the best fudgsicle of all time. Highly recommended.

A quick lunch on a freezing day at Luc Lac for huge bowl of pho. And last but not least a late night dinner at the basement izakaya Biwa after seeing Southern Soul Assembly at the Aladdin Theater. Very good sashimi of scallops, mackeral and abacore, grilled chicken and fish and spicy beef tartare with a quail egg.

All in all, a great 4 days of eating and drinking in a city that I could undoubtedly live in.

PS, Ava Gene's is owned by the Stumptown Coffee guy.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#4 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

Biwa has an amazing late night happy hour, discounted ramen and izakaya snacks!

Rocky

You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Welcome back, Rocky. :D

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table