112 replies to this topic

#91 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

I think I've mentioned before that I own quite a few pieces of All-Clad Masterchef; one of the original lines, and the stuff is great; as a matter of fact, I had some 20-year old nonstick that got beat up, and they replaced it no questions asked.

I think you'd be fine with one of the less expensive lines as opposed to the copper core.

#92 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

okay, i'm getting the cheapo 2-ply mc line. i will take faster/more precise heating over shinier exteriors over time.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#93 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

okay, i'm getting the cheapo 2-ply mc line. i will take faster/more precise heating over shinier exteriors over time.

Good move.  I might mention that I never put those in the dishwasher, since the dishwasher isn't kind on the exterior brushed aluminum.

Also, I think they're 3-ply!

#94 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

I have two of the brushed aluminum pieces.   I wouldn't/don't worry about trying to keep the finish "pretty".    I don't notice a difference when cooking in these vs the steel finished ones.   It all depends if ugly bothers you.   It IS much easier to clean the outside of the steel finished pans.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#95 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

https://www.finecook...nstick-coatings

#96 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

Good move.  I might mention that I never put those in the dishwasher, since the dishwasher isn't kind on the exterior brushed aluminum.

everybody else lists them as bi-ply; tri-ply being reserved for aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#97 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

okay, while i wait for these to come in, remind me: do i pre-heat on medium or high heat?

~homer simpson

#98 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

everybody else lists them as bi-ply; tri-ply being reserved for aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless.

If you're getting the MC2stuff, this is what their website says:

• The matte-finished 18/10 stainless steel interior provides a stick-resistant cooking surface, while the brushed aluminum exterior matches most kitchen decor. The aluminum core provides even, rapid heating.

#99 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:20 PM

Confusing.

• The matte-finished 18/10 stainless steel interior provides a stick-resistant cooking surface, while the brushed aluminum exterior matches most kitchen decor. The aluminum core provides even, rapid heating.

while the linked website describes the interior as polished.   

FWIW, my several of this ilk are polished stainless interior, brushed aluminum exterior.   I certainly don't consider their interior stick-resistant, but it matters little to me.   I'm either searing or cooking with butter or oil.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#100 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,587 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

Get cheap, solid commercial pans, give the difference to orphans or whisky.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#101 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

I have any number (okay, a lot) of blue steel, Volrath, Lincoln Wearever, etc. The favorite is blue steel, and it eventually develops a great non-stick surface.

But sometimes it's nice to use "fancy" pieces, be they Le Crueset, Staub, All-Clad, Falk, Demeyere, Sitram, the list goes on.

Although people who've watched while I'm cooking in a DeBuyer blue steel pan think its fancy.

#102 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

My last set was MC2. Basically indestructible & worked fine. I only switched because we got an induction stove. My mom and a couple of good friends were very happy to get the old stuff. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#103 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,158 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

I don't care.  I still love my copper-core.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#104 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

calm yourselves.  i have purchased the mc2 12 inch fry pan and 3 quart saute pan. plus the 2 quart saucepan. i wish a larger saucepan was available but it isn't. if i enjoy cooking with these then i will round out the collection with some pans from the next level up: a larger saucepan, a smaller fry pan.

~homer simpson

#105 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Love my mc2 6qt saute pan! Very even heating, can easily brown 8 chicken thighs evenly without having to rotate them.