113 replies to this topic

#106 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Did Eleven Madison Park drop their social media stalking initiative, then?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#107 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,527 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, we also shouldn't discount the fact that we sometimes purposely go somewhere where we would not be recognized.

I long ago heard a story, I hope apocryphal, about a man who took his wife to a restaurant.  As he seated them, the maitre d' said, "Sir, may I say this is the most beautiful woman you have ever taken here?"  (Happily, the days when anyone would say anything like that are long past.) (Now, you just get references to personal details they've fished off the internet.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#108 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Years ago, we were in the restaurant Bid, within the Sotheby's gallery on 72nd street.  It was nearly empty. 

The maitre d' came by and mentioned that New York magazine was sending a photographer to do pictures for their upcoming review. (It was a fine review, they closed a week later)  "Would we care to be in the pictures?"

TRANSLATION "If you're here with somebody because it's out of the way and you don't want to be recognized, this is fair warning pictures will be taken."

The hat check person, receptionist, bar tender, maitre, waiters all took places at tables to give an illusion of anything but an empty room. They moved from table to table as the angles changed.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#109 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, we also shouldn't discount the fact that we sometimes purposely go somewhere where we would not be recognized.

I long ago heard a story, I hope apocryphal, about a man who took his wife to a restaurant.  As he seated them, the maitre d' said, "Sir, may I say this is the most beautiful woman you have ever taken here?"  (Happily, the days when anyone would say anything like that are long past.) (Now, you just get references to personal details they've fished off the internet.)

Was he called Mr. Gladstone?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#110 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:17 AM

Didn't we have a similar discussion way back, I think about EMP, where the maitre d' was diving ways to improve diners' experiences by checking their social profiles, etc?

Given that airlines, hotels, etc are heavily investing in this strategy, I'd be surprised if (some kinds of) restaurants didn't do likewise.

Eta: as Taion said. My phone is making me miss recent posts.

#111 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

@RailPaul: In the early days of Degustation I remember a male patron going apeshit because a photographer (Times I think) had snapped him dining there. One suspects because of who he was with.

#112 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

The original piece isn't online any more. It's reproduced here: http://sarahrich.com/search-m/.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#113 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

Ticketmaster has more than double the traffic of Stubhub, so that's hardly surprising.  (As mitchells just said.)

For some reason I just got about 20 free tickets from Ticketmaster. Now I just need to find something I want to see that they ticket.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#114 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:21 PM

Ticketmaster has more than double the traffic of Stubhub, so that's hardly surprising.  (As mitchells just said.)

For some reason I just got about 20 free tickets from Ticketmaster. Now I just need to find something I want to see that they ticket.

The Schlesinger class-action suit settlement?