174 replies to this topic

#166 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,801 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

I'm sure "rumor" is a collective noun for something. But not tomatoes.

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig

#167 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:50 AM

He didn't mean it as a collective noun. He meant "hint". (I'm sure you know that.) (When I read that, I actually started to try to remember the same thing: what's "rumor" a collective noun for?)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#168 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

More importantly he's referring to Don Pep's, which is rumored to be a restaurant. So it all works out at the end.

#169 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,801 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

It was a deliberate misread, and I can't see that it's a collective noun for anything. It should be. I will use it for tomatoes.

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig

#170 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

olives in briny throbs . . . ground beef simply salted in a sweat of onions . . . air-dried beef in thrall to garlic and fenugreek, so potent it’s a rebuke to pastrami. . . . a whole chicken for less than $10, rubbed down with seven-spice and made fervent overnight, then roasted on a spit and given a last spackle of char on the grill.

The first two comments are praise for the writing. :angry:

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#171 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

When I'm simply salted in a sweat of onions, I take a shower.

The first two comments are praise for the writing. :angry:

People are stupid.

Also, did I miss the memo about the use of margarine being praiseworthy? "Each is painted with margarine, a stand-in for Egyptian samna, pure butterfat."

#172 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

cumin-strafed potatoes like mouthfuls of musk. The pancakes can come plain or topped with a single, wrinkly egg, pocked with oil. But the marriage with bacon and cheese is best of all, earthiness enveloping pangs of salt.

chicken thigh . . . may arrive cold alongside aachar and chiura, rice grains pounded flat and then fried into gossamer flakes that suggest fossilized tears.

Mmmmmm, musk, how appetizing. And I'm sure we've all had pangs from salt, but of salt? Gossamer flakes = fossilized tears?? I don't get the texture equivalence, do you?

Too bad there's no reference to Freud, as the headline leads one to believe:

An Egg Is More Than Just an Egg at While in Kathmandu

unless it's subtly that the son opened this restaurant to rival the father (well, and mother, too), who are not fulfilling their mission at their own restaurant.

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

#173 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Is anyone editing the Times food section?  Is Sam Sifton on a 4 week vacation to Antarctica? 

How can that overwrought semi literate copy make it on to the website and into the print edition.  It's not a one off.  Ligaya is a serial offender.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#174 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

She just can't help herself, no matter what the subject.

#175 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Two Dungeness crabs face off on the plate, ready to duel. One is battered gold, deep-fried and propped on a rubble of garlic shards; the other has been steamed to a dying-sunset hue and shimmers from a frisk in the wok with ginger, scallions and Shaoxing wine. Only a border of half-moon cucumbers separates them, keeping the peace.

"A frisk in the wok"??

Thank you, but I'd rather be sure that my food not be on the verge of fighting on the plate.