16 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Good place for an after dinner drink and light meal in the triangle between Bourse, Pyramides and Opera?

Good place for morning coffee/breakfast? 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#2 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Really, nothing?? How's A Noste? The website looks promising...

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

I can't recommend A Noste for their food, although maybe for a drink and a little something it's fine.

Telescope is the only coffee place I can think of that's in that triangle. I guess Le Forum for expensive cocktails, almost in there :)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:04 AM

Yeah it pretty much is kind of a wasteland -- thanks.
-Chomskybot

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

Also, I'm not sure if Spring has revived the basement wine bar format or if they use every table for their full menu now. 

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

We passed this place in June and it looked friendly & welcoming.  It's in the triangle you want so I guess that's the most we know about it:  http://bottles-paris.com

Le Bat is outside your area by 15 minutes or so, but we can vouch for the small plates and the wines by the glass being very good.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Steve. It doesn't need to be life changing. Just a decent place to go with some colleagues after a meeting.
-Chomskybot

#8 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Re coffee, Telescope is the best coffee within your geo. I advise the cappuccino there. If they ask if you want one or two shots, please note that the correct answer is 1.5. Trust me, I know. That said, it's a tiny place and not really where I would necssarily plan to have breakfast due to lack of comfort / space and, most likely, lack of seating ... but it depends on what you are looking for. For the record, they don't use Belleville beans, which is slightly surprising since David Flynn originally opened the joint. They have been Has Bean beans for a bit now. 

A bit outside your geo is another tiny place that does pretty good coffee and bit more breakfast : Claus (rue JJ Rousseau). They have more bfast stuff (but not a lot) and some seating upstairs (but not a lot). Frankly, I wouldn't be rushing to the place but if it is in your post-bfast direction, it might be a reasonable bfast option.

Re "Good place for an after dinner drink and light meal", is that a request for one place doing both or two separate places ?

First off, none of these places come with a total Chambo seal of approval. You chose the geo, not I.

Maybe Habemus for both. It's claim to fame is that it's in your geo. Nothing great ... but hopefully not too bad. Not for cocktailians, but if you want to plop down somewhere within your geo for something to eat (make sure you order correctly !) ... maybe. Read up on it. I went once. I think I ordered wrong. It's probably better than my one experience.

Just barely outside your geo is Pascade. Read up on your own about what a pascade is. But if you want a light meal, maybe a pascade fits the bill. They're a reasonable snack or simple, light meal. But nothing more. Could meet a need. When I was there, it was a kind of a NYC-midtown vibe vis-a-vis the much cooler Marais vibe of a Breizh cafe. They have wines but I can't remember if they have cocktails or not ... maybe. I also believe that they serve non-stop ie don't close btwn lunch and dinner.

Again just outside your geo is Takara (rue Moliere). Chambo actually likes this one but it's a full-on Japanese cantine. (@Orik - Ignore what I'm about to say.) And it's a pretty good Japanese option (@Orik - listen up) for Paris. Not cheap. Nice vibe. (@Orik - back to ignore mode ) Food is good and could be worthy for your light meal option (or more) if you want consider Japanese. Sushi is way oversized pieces of tuna, salmon, seiche, turbot, shrimp, scallop, etc. Perfectly fine for a non-discriminating sushi-diner who wants a light meal but isn't expecting excellence or exotica. Their fried stuff is pretty decent too. Shabu shabu is good. (@Orik - now listen up real good) Luxeat likes it too (http://www.luxeat.com/blog/takara/). I've spotted her there. She is seriously hot ! Love the way she walks ! I don't really agree with a lot of what the Luscious One says, but I do agree with her that the shimofuri grillé is quite good for 27 euros or so. 

Note that your geo includes Little Japan. If you want to plop down somewhere on or just off rue St Anne and have an udon or a mediocre but cheap Korean bbq in a semi-dump, that's available too.

Come to think out it, maybe take a glance at the Aki Boulanger if you want a Japanese-leaning boulanger for a breakfast nibbles on the run ... they have some seating too, methinks.

#9 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Ohhhhhhhh ... just saw .... "professional colleagues" ...

They'll think that you are really in the know if you take them to Takara. Read up on its history, tell them some amusing stories and the deal should be closed before bfast ! Yeah, that might be the ticket. Reserve though.

If it's a bunch of boring finance types who don't appreciate the Rising Sun, maybe Pascade would be perfect ! 

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

I can't recommend A Noste for their food....

More thoughts?    You have tried both casual ground floor and first floor dining room?   Yours is the only negative comment I have heard.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

Upstairs. It's the kind of restaurant that serves you an uni and (poor stew of) beef dish in the cleaned urchin shell, except the uni isn't what was in the shell, but something from a processed form of uni (confirmed by the waiter after the meal) - I guess an analogy would be a place that serves canned escargot in those shells that come with the tin. It's the kind of restaurant where the PR period materials show them walking around the room with a beautiful chuleta but the meat of the day just happens to be some really, really, dry veal breast followed by pork that's even worse. Plating was of the "I've seen this on TV where the use a round mold to make a nice shape on the plate, I'm sure I can do it too" variety. 

Downstairs looked like a lot of deep fried batter on stuff, mostly. I'm sure it can be fun. Parisians are currently very excited about these places where they can spend not a lot of money on something, even if that something is mostly filler. 

I need to write up our trip, but this was easily the worst meal of it. I'm sorry I made the floor manager almost cry, but he asked to really know what I thought.

p.s. I forgot to mention, a salad component to the cheese dish used iceberg lettuce that must have been at least a week old, probably from one of those pre-cut salad packs - still looked intact but tasted like what I imagine licking the garbage bin at a vegetable stand in Dubai at the end of the market day, in August, would be like. A rare chance to actually spit food the moment it touches the tongue.

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

Place has been decided, not by me. This is rarely a positive experience. I guess I'll just drink more. Thanks everyone, will keep these on hand in case I have a trip without an Abendprogramm. 

-Chomskybot

#13 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

c,  which is one of the more affordable hotels that you like that is within walking distance, say a mile or so, of Le Taillevent?

p, I wish I could be of more help on this but I live here and don't hotel here hence I'm not really the guy for the job.

And as you well know, when I respond I like to be absolutely on-point.

Others with actual hotel experience here might be able to lend a helping hand.

It seems that, for the most part recently, when friends come thru town they do one of 2 things :

1) Volunteer to crash chez Chambo if it's a visit for just a few days ... or 

2) They attempt #1 when it's a longer stay and they are advised by sweet, little Chambo to rent an apartment after a few days chez moi

Hence, I am sorry to say that I have nothing to say about where you should stay ... but I'll keep on keeping on anyway ...

Quite frankly, I'm not often in that general Taillevent neck of the woods unless I'm dining and dashing a la Mich at a one, two or three ... and believe me, p, I've done all three relatively recently ! But not Taillevent.

What I can tell you is that there are TONS of hotels nearby Taillevent.

TONS very nearby Taillevent. Most are probably fine considering your only concern is price.

No need to walk more than 1/2 a mile or even a 1/4 dans ce quartier.

I will also mention with all seriousness that "more affordable" means NOTHING to me.

It should be noted that "more affordable" must be specifically quantified in order to get an on-point answer, which is my stock-in-trade. More affordable for who ? for you ? for your friend's teenage kids who are being treated to a classic dinner of their lifetime but must pony up for their own lodging that night ? for a well-to-do business man who doesn't want to drop north of a K at the A-OK Athenée or Le G. V on Avenue G. V because he's already planning on dropping north of a K for dinner there at Le V ? p, you see ? you gotta give real live numbers, as nasty and as uncouth as it seems.

Less than 100 (doubt it's possible) ... less than 200 ... less than 150 ... less than 300 or 400 or 500 ? People can work with that.

Furthermore, I think it is important (because it makes a world of difference) to specify what the actual travel situation is ... ie an older adult / an older adult couple / a college kid / a young professional couple / young pro couple with a kid / etc who is staying for one night / a few days / a solid week / or more / etc. This is simply the way I think about things. And you should too ... if your aim is on-point feedback.

Lacking other feedback, I would advise using TripAdvisor and their reviews as a very good resource that MUST BE USED WITH CARE, REFLECTION AND CALIBRATED TO YOUR SPECIFIC CONCERNS. For a big city, the hotel doesn't necessarily have to be in the top 10 or the top 30 or the top 50 ! There are hundreds of good hotels here. See which hotels are within your desired geo, insist on a score of at least 4.0 (a very good rule of thumb, methinks) and read many many reviews from TripAdvisor. Think about which complaints are relevant to YOUR situation. Focus on reviewers who have many reviews and wrote more than a sentence or two (some of these reviewers take it pretty seriously ... to the benefit of many). There are trollers bashing hotels ... learn to spot and ignore them. Something approaching truth and reality appears from the mist.

Side note. When I'm traveling to places where I've been to before, I don't just "book a room". I tell them that Chambo is about to grace their premises and inform them about what floor(s) I want to be on, what view I want, what the bedding situation should be, what I want re the bathroom and I'll often provide them with specific room numbers or number ranges. And you know what, they usually deliver. And they discount me big-time. That's how I travel, p.

c,  which is one of the more affordable hotels that you like that is within walking distance, say a mile or so, of Le Taillevent?

p, one more thing ... no Le.

by the way, are you making any progress on memorizing when to use and NOT use le  "de" du Clos (de) Vougeot ?

because based your ensuing answer to balex in that thread, you weren't proving to be a very good student ...

p, get your act together, will ya ?

I'll have you know that posting your RFI where you did is VERY BAD business strategy. I'm a strategy guy and I recognize this stuff with ease.

Let me explain why.

Although it may come to you as a total shock (it sure was to me ! ), pretty much EVERYBODY here, other than you (and I appreciate that ! and I got your back for that ! ), has put me on IGNORE and avoids this absolutely fabulous thread like the plague.

So when you posted there, little did you realize it, but I was pretty much the only one who saw it. 

That absolutely fabulous thread is NOT a Chowhound substitute ... even if mitchells might lead you to believe so (and I'll deal with him at a time and place of my choosing ! )

We have dedicated threads for inquiries such as yours ... like THIS ONE !

That previously-mentioned absolutely fabulous thread is NOT about Paris restos to eat at and is NOT about Paris hotels to sleep in.

In fact, it is NOT about ANYTHING of ANY importance !

What IT IS ABOUT is Chambo's serious attempts to shed light on the most important issues that our small yet illustrious Nation is facing or should be informed about ... from my perspective, of course.

In other words, I'm trying to tackle the big issues in our little pond, and by extension, make a name for myself in the world at large ... and maybe even takeover the planet in the process (I have been making some headway on this front ... in case any of you haven't noticed ... but it's a long term, stretch goal).

That's it ! Nothing more. Nothing less.

Conversation there on those heady topics is fine and welcome ... but it's NOT FUCKING CHOWHOUND !  ... and I make the rules there ! ... cuz it's my home ... it's my office ...it's my place of business ... I work there !

So p, let's try to maintain some semblance of order and reason here at mouthfuls. 

One last thing folks, don't expect me to EVER AGAIN respond to a Chowhound-type request in that absolutely fabulous thread.

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

Solid, concise advice!

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

It's how he says such profound things in so few words that sets him apart.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"