71 replies to this topic

#61 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,536 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:41 AM

I have a friend who thinks that Canada Goose is low-class and that proper people should wear Loro Piana.

Meanwhile I've literally spent the entire winter here wearing a $150 peacoat from Everlane. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,758 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

I have my cashmere/wool coat from Mr. Ned. I'm content.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#63 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,221 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

I have a friend who thinks that Canada Goose is low-class and that proper people should wear Loro Piana.

Meanwhile I've literally spent the entire winter here wearing a $150 peacoat from Everlane. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with your friend. To the point that after listening to Mrs B ask for one for three years but refusing to buy one herself, I actually spent almost double on an even more odious eurotrash branded puffy coat for her. Even though fundentally I don't understand the appeal. But at least it wasn't shapeless Canada Goose.

Canada Goose just filed to go public btw. Usually a sign a trend is in the seventh inning.
Why not mayo?

#64 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,933 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

So you've got a warehouse full of duvets and a label maker...

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#65 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

My mother's family thinks people who use terms like "classy", "low-class", et all usually don't have any.

Canada Goose has a factory in my city, but I can't bring myself to buy something so fugly. If it were cheap and fugly, maybe (still not likely), but it's expensive and fugly. (They did have an Italian wool version for a while a few years ago, but I couldn't find it in real life)

I do like the fur on the hoods, though. Whenever I sit behind someone wearing a Canada Goose jacket, I want to pet it.

#66 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

I was trapped in Montreal in a snowstorm once, and would have worn anything warm now matter how ugly in preference to my lightweight British winter coat.

#67 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,536 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

She didn't use the term "low-class". I was paraphrasing.

One downside to working for a tech startup is that my bespoke overcoats (including a nice Chesterfield from Mr Ned) are all cut to be worn with suits; as such, they're all useless to me now, because I can't really wear suits to work.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#68 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,666 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

Sheer hell, old boy.

To be honest, changing from a suit-based work wardrobe to business casual was an annoying and surprisingly expensive experience, but I did go through it a long time ago.

#69 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,560 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:24 AM

She didn't use the term "low-class". I was paraphrasing.

One downside to working for a tech startup is that my bespoke overcoats (including a nice Chesterfield from Mr Ned) are all cut to be worn with suits; as such, they're all useless to me now, because I can't really wear suits to work.

Sheer hell, old boy.

To be honest, changing from a suit-based work wardrobe to business casual was an annoying and surprisingly expensive experience, but I did go through it a long time ago.

0.1% problems.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#70 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,933 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

Sheer hell, old boy.

Back when we did that it caused such a substantial drop in dining expenses (because you couldn't go to any serious place dressed like a slob) that it paid for itself very quickly. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#71 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

THAT transition has played itself out.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#72 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

Traveling companion, upon reading the discussion of dressing for a warm weekend in Montreal in February:

Well, I'm glad you're having fun with your online friends.

Bar Loser

MF Old