14 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:55 PM

A few months back, Hemant joined Shiva Natarajan as partner and executive chef for Natarajan's six restaurants.  (I saw one report that it was a full sale to Hemant.)  

A few of us ate recently at Malai Marke on 6th Street and Haldi on Lex.

Apparently, Hemant hadn't made any change to the menu at Malai Marke, although he did stop by the restaurant while we were there.  The food was very good.

He did make over the menu at Haldi.  We all thought the food was very good, and most of the dishes were new to us.  I particlarly liked the lamb egg rolls,  the bamai khuta -- braised chunks of lamb with fried okra.  Excellent lamb chops as always.  I was surprised to see Hemant spend most of the night in the front of the house.  

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,161 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

Just to tiresomely repeat the street wisdom (which Stone probably heard from Hemant himself), Hemant is reportedly remaking each of these restaurants one at a time.  So far, he's only gotten to Haldi.  He reportedly intends to streamline the menu at each place, so that each will have a fairly strict regional/stylistic focus.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Ligaya's already been to Haldi.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

So have Steve & Ginny:  http://chowhound.cho.../topics/1003890

This space available… contact owner.

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

so far i've learned from that thread that bengal was once part of pakistan. is the talk about the food as solid as the talk about geography?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

Wait, wasn't Bangladesh [more or less the former East Bengal] part of Pakistan until the 1971 war?

#7 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

I've a few Bengali friends and have always been curious about trying the food, but the best known establishments are too far.  Perhaps I should visit the new Haldi.

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:04 PM

well, bengal was partitioned (twice) and east bengal became east pakistan in 1947 which later became bangladesh but this does not mean that bengal was once pakistan. and in any case this restaurant is apparently focused on calcutta which is in west bengal and has never been part of east bengal/bangladesh.

west bengal is also not in north india or north-east india. why do so many american foodies think that eating indian food makes them knowledgeable about indian geography or politics? and if they are interested in those subjects why don't they look at some maps or books?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

Why are so many americans foodies?

In any event, we enjoyed our meal here the other night, and I'm glad we didn't order this, which when seen on the menu, I said: "Sounds like bad shakshuka."

Less compelling is a plate of sunnyside-up eggs, fried hard and ringed by a dice of tomato and onions, suggesting shakshuka without the shimmer or sizzle.

By the way, the service was somewhat comical. Nice, of course, but comical.

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

By the way, the service was somewhat comical. Nice, of course, but comical.

That's the national anthem of restaurant India.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

well, bengal was partitioned (twice) and east bengal became east pakistan in 1947 which later became bangladesh but this does not mean that bengal was once pakistan. and in any case this restaurant is apparently focused on calcutta which is in west bengal and has never been part of east bengal/bangladesh.

west bengal is also not in north india or north-east india. why do so many american foodies think that eating indian food makes them knowledgeable about indian geography or politics? and if they are interested in those subjects why don't they look at some maps or books?

Now you see why we call it all "curry."

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

new empire?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

I think its not a coincidence that the article skips from Tulsi to this current affiliation without mentioning this thread’s grouping or his subsequent endeavor. I wonder if he’s relocated down here (I’m still in Florida till next month) or if this is just a “start it up, then leave only your name” thing. Regardless, I wish him well.... he’s a truly nice guy.

#14 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,529 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:36 AM

For those unfamiliar with the South Asian cuisine, an integral element that makes Indian food authentic is the inclusion of a tandoor—an Indian clay oven—in the kitchen, which Maska has done. 

okay...

In fact, there is an entire section on the menu called “Maska Marke,” which translates to “From the Tandoor.” 

what now? "maska" means butter. "maska marke" would mean "having buttered" or "buttered"; colloquially a usage like this would usually refer to having flattered or buttered someone up.

~homer simpson

#15 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:17 AM

I guess that marke can’t be translated to mean chicken, huh?