187 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

In a long double review with Willow at the Pink Pig.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

I thought the community here hates double reviews, sees them as inherently unfair to both places. ;)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

Wilfrid, we've had this disagreement before about the accessibility of places in neighborhoods you're not that familiar with.  You WAY overstate the distance of L'Antagoniste from the nearest subway.  Walks seem longer if the area is unfamiliar.  L'Antagoniste is SEVEN BLOCKS from the nearest (A/C) subway station.  According to Google maps, it takes 8 minutes to walk there (and I'm sure I could do it in less).  Eight minutes -- not 20 or 25.  I'm sure it seems longer when you don't know where your destination is and when you'll get there (an advantage of the numbered street grid -- and a disadvantage of an unnumbered street grid, as in Bed-Stuy).

That's closer than, say, Edi and the Wolf (or most places on Ave. C) is to any subway line.  There are reasons not to rush to Edi and the Wolf, but nobody talks about how out of the way it is.  (Any more, at least:  there once was a time when Ave. C seemed remote.  No longer.  So it isn't physical distance we're talking about here.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

According to Google Maps, Root & Bone is one minute farther from the nearest subway station than L'Antagoniste.  Does anyone say it's inaccessible because too far away from the subway?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

Sneak, being unfamiliar with the neighborhood is not the issue.  I know east of there better, along Broadway and Rockaway Avenue, and I recommend J's Jerk Hut for chicken, and Island Vybz for stuffed roti.  It's precisely about physical distance. It's 0.76 miles from the nearest J stop, 0.64 miles from the nearest C.

I'll accept that 25 minutes is pushing it, and reduce it 18-20, which is around 24 minutes per mile.  Yes of course you can do it faster, but most readers are going to be in a part of town they don't know (I timed it when I did the walk, but I doubtless dawdled.)

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

The difference is that you might have two or three hundred reasons to be within three quarters of a mile of Root & Bone.

ETA: And it's way under half a mile, if you're looking at the right subway.

And let's face it, most people who might read my blog aren't going to be starting out from anywhere near L'Antagoniste.  

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

One final way of putting this:  when I was walking a date to Dear Bushwick from the Bushwick Starr a few weeks ago, she was visibly nervous, as though I were trekking her through the Hindu Kush.  She kept asking me when we'd get there.

Of course, it's only a few blocks.  But it was an unfamiliar area to her, so to her the walk seemed forever.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

Wilfrid -- It CANNOT take 15 minutes to walk seven blocks.  Do you think Google Maps is simply wrong?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

What subway stop did you get out at?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

The difference is that you might have two or three hundred reasons to be within three quarters of a mile of Root & Bone.

So is L'Antagoniste.  The same 0.4 miles that Root & Bone is from the 2nd Ave. F Stop.

Google Maps

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm using Mapquest which states the distance along the most direct route in miles.

You know me; you surely don't think I was "nervous".  The nearest J stop is Halsey Street.  There's that, or Utica Avenue on the C. Utica is a little nearer.  I am a slow walker these days, but I don't think a 24 minute mile is absurdly slow.

A nervous person would probably do it much faster.

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

What station is closer to Root & Bone that the 2nd Ave. F stop?

That's the one.  0.41 miles by the most direct car route, but a pedestrian can do better.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

If MapQuest says the A/C stop is more than 0.4 miles from the L'Antogoniste, MapQuest is wrong.

Look at this:

So is L'Antagoniste.  The same 0.4 miles that Root & Bone is from the 2nd Ave. F Stop.

Google Maps

0.4 miles.  8 minutes.  About the same as Root & Bone.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

I'd just like to say that Avenue D is a tedious schlep from the 2nd Avenue F stop, and Avenue C not much better.  I think I can confidently say I've done that walk several hundred times more often than anyone else here.  But the neighborhood is well served by the M14D from Union Square, which is a luxurious ride compared to the B46.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,161 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Google Maps says half a mile, ten minutes.  I'm sure one of them is right.

Sneak, I am not guessing.  I'm going by my watch, while is neither familiar nor unfamiliar with the neighborhood.  Maybe I walked slower than usual.