112 replies to this topic

#31 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

I can't think of any man in the food industry (or any industry or walk of life) that would surprise me to hear were harassment allegations made against him. 

Maybe Jacques Pepin. But even he was a young man once.

Age has nothing to do with this.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

We are obviously zero tolerance.. We actually had to fire a guy for harassing another male.. Like aggressive sexual harassment. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#33 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,669 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

considering posting this more honest apology script on my blog for the next set of exposed fuckers to use:

"Yes, I did these things. I don't remember them all because there were so many of them, but I did the things I am accused of. I apologize to the women I victimized, some of whom I made working life deeply unpleasant for or drove from the profession, and most of whom I traumatized in ways that I never had to think about. It's not that I didn't know what I was doing was wrong. Of course I knew it was wrong; it's just that I also knew that I could do it and get away with it because my profession is set up to let me do it and get away with it. After all, I don't know of any female comedians who masturbate in front of young male comedians they've cornered in their hotel rooms, or any female chefs who dry-hump men in their kitchens or congresswomen who cup the crotches of men at state fairs--do you? Anyway, I did these things because I could get away with doing them and indeed I got away with doing them for a long time. I didn't come forward before the accusations because I still believed that I could get away with it--that my power would protect me, as would the fact that in my work I've also supported and promoted talented women (as though doing so should be anything but the norm and as though I didn't do it also so it would give me cover). Anyway, I've been caught out now and I won't insult your intelligence by pretending to be worried about anything other than what's going to happen to me. I'm going to go now; hopefully, you won't have to hear from me again."

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#34 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

I can't think of any man in the food industry (or any industry or walk of life) that would surprise me to hear were harassment allegations made against him. 

Maybe Jacques Pepin. But even he was a young man once.

Age has nothing to do with this.

While generally true, I like to believe people learn from their mistakes. In the past, I have behaved in ways that now make me cringe (including behaviors like pinching a guy on the ass). I would like to think most people who make mistakes when they are young, change their ways for the better as they mature. Some do, but very clearly, many don't.

#35 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

I have no gossip or stories to offer,but the whiff of hypocrisy often lingered,when I had to sit through the yearly harassment meeting. Personally,there has been stuff further down the pecking order,that I saw,and when I voiced concerns,got the old ‘they kind of asked for it’ bullshit. No one likes a tattletale,is what I’ve taken away from the experience,and lawsuits are what the powers that be fear the most...glad to be out of the game. Kind of saddened by the whole mess,though...
Stung by Nettles

#36 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Surprised more aren't mentioning Todd English (after Flay--who would be my guess).

#37 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

No doubt all of this behavior is wrong and needs to stop but I am struggling with the situations whereby the perp did something 10-15 years ago and is paying the price today with a sledgehammer coming down on their respective careers. Should someone like Mark Halperin who was a self acknowledged creep but straightened out his ways now get fired without a single complaint against him in the last 10 years?

What if instead of sexual harassment someone today was found out to have a DUI while driving 100 mph and crashing into a house 15 years ago. Would their careers be over now? I would say not.

Ambrose Bierce

#38 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

I would bet most of us are quite pleased we aren't famous enough to get into trouble now for stuff we did in the past.

Ambrose Bierce

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

There's clearly a "one size fits all" approach which extends to language.  A conflating of many reprehensible behaviors into an all encompassing "sexual abuse".  That term used to mean physical, intimate contact.  Now  the general usage seems to include the whole range of offensive contacts including hand on the shoulder, lewd comments, or even the hostile environment accusation.

The lack of precision in language will probably not end well.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#40 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

I agree. The sisterhood may pillory me,but there are a lot of things that smell like a witch hunt....lots of people lose their livelihood because of some of these tempests. A more measured reaction would be welcome,for my part...
Stung by Nettles

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

One former employee alleges that over the course of two years, he repeatedly grabbed her from behind and held her tightly against his body

Another is believed to have suffered similar treatment but is yet to be found.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#42 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,028 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

I have to think the reactions will gradually become more discriminating, but that's not going to happen for a while.  Too many people have waited too long for this.

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,669 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:30 PM

who has lost their job so far just for putting their hands on anyone's shoulders or for making the occasional lewd comment?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#44 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

who has lost their job so far just for putting their hands on anyone's shoulders or for making the occasional lewd comment?

These two unwanted behaviors were listed in our firm's grounds for termination ten years ago. The spectrum of unwanted touching covers lots of ground. Lewd comments are a foundation element underlying a hostile work environment.

We terminated a senior manager on hostile work environment, although we described it as failure to build an effective team. That came directly from the 360 degree reviewing. Women didn't want to work with him.

I'm a strong believer in objectives based, 360 reviewing, tied into bonus and retention. Done right, it is a highly useful tool.

#45 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Mario Batali has been named in an unwanted sexual contact, hostile work environment charge. For events over multiple decades.

He will step away from The Chew, and from restaurant management. Per WNYC.