102 replies to this topic

#16 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

The phrase "trois mec" popped into my head tonight while driving around, for no reason--maybe I had skimmed this thread, forgotten, and then retrieved the name accidentally. In any case, will try to hit at least one or two of the above before I leave town...

Tonight, had to find (in 30 secs or less) a restaurant in Little Armenia serving Armenian food--came up with Carousel. I thought the food was good, but what do I know about Armenian cooking. Had tun (salty yogurt drink), muhammara (walnut and red pepper paste), beef sausages fried with tomato and onion, eetch (like tabbouleh, but cooked with tomatoes), and labneh. 

Then, went to Twin Sliders and got shakes (vanilla and date). It's located in a little yuppie/hipster pocket on Sunset. 

Immortal space traveler.

#17 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Yes, for reasons not evident to me, it's called Twins Sliders.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#18 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

That's a stupid affectation.

Continued sampling date shakes at Hadley and Shields. Out of the three I've tried, Shields is the best--made with date crystals, invented there in the 19...50s? 40s? Described in the video "the romance and sex life of the date"....
Immortal space traveler.

#19 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Some date shake PR:  http://www.hadleyfru...ds.com/node/625

Then that happened.

#20 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

The Hadley shake was good, but I do prefer a stronger (in your face) date flavor.

Myung Dong Kyoja--kalguksuk is their specialty. Rich chicken soup with pork dumplings, the noodles are too soft for my taste. I wish I had ordered a cold noodle dish.

India Sweets & Spices--on Venice blvd. According to their sign, they've been in business since 1984. Had a delicious mango lassi and some mediocre burfi. 

Immortal space traveler.

#21 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

Today, went to Langer's for lunch. The rye bread is much better than Katz's, with a great crust. The pastrami is alright, too lean--it does need the coleslaw, etc. on the #19.

Immortal space traveler.

#22 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Today, went to Langer's for lunch. The rye bread is much better than Katz's, with a great crust. The pastrami is alright, too lean--it does need the coleslaw, etc. on the #19.

Welcome to the Langer's debate.

Then that happened.

#23 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

What's the Langer's debate?

Went to Aharon Coffee--tasty and expensive latte. Uncomfortable seating made from downed logs. Decent working environment, though, and if it wasn't so expensive, I probably would have gotten more hyped on their stuff.

Lunch at Nate n Al (or however you spell their name). Another pastrami sandwich. The meat much better than Langer's, bread not as good--and the idea of putting lettuce and tomato on a hot pastrami sandwich is anathema.
Immortal space traveler.

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

The Langer's debate is #19 vs. just pastrami, mustard and rye.  Which is best?

Then that happened.

#25 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

Larry King used to eat at Nate n Al's nearly every single morning.  But now he seems to have his own place.  http://www.qsrmagazi...s-beverly-hills

Then that happened.

#26 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:30 AM

Guelaguetza for dinner. The negro mole is really good—but I wondered whether it should be spicier?? Or maybe my taste buds are blown.

Immortal space traveler.

#27 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

You have been testing them.  Eat any crickets?

Then that happened.

#28 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:57 AM

No crickets, I'm afraid. My stomach does have limits (to its capacity). At this point, are the crickets a gimmick? 

Today....Alfred Coffee, on Melrose. They get a lot of walk-in traffic from the spin place next door... The drip was good, customer service surprisingly nice--I didn't know how to react when the cashier asked me about my day. 'In a coffee shop like this? That question? What?'

Dinner at Bon Juk--they only serve juk / jook / rice porridge. I had octopus kimchi porridge. It was served with more kimchi, some sort of pepper paste, cured beef, and a cold vinegary broth with a few radish pieces floating in it.

Immortal space traveler.

#29 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

Tonight, had dinner at Pailin Thai. Northern style sausage had a really earthy flavor but needed some pickled chili, cabbage, and ginger. Also ordered chicken feet salad--it seemed like the feet had been boiled, the skin and cartilage chopped off the bone, and then the feet mixed with ginger, chili, lemongrass, and onion. The best dish we tried was the khao soi, especially with the scallions and pickled veg mixed into the broth. <Saw this on mongo's blog>

Afterwards, walked to Bhan Kanom Thai for desert. We tried pangchi, warm silver dollar pancakes made with taro, coconut, and corn, banana and sticky rice grilled in a banana leaf, and mango sticky rice (which would have been better if it was fresher, ie not sitting out prepackaged).  

Immortal space traveler.

#30 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:05 AM

I think crickets are a legitimate source of protein.  And crunchy.

Then that happened.