MF Old

#17 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

the one at emmy squared has two patties. I haven't had it but I liked the pizza at emmy squared more than I'd like to admit.

#18 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

From Sutton's double review of Emily and Emmy Squared:

Five Things to Know About Burgers at Emily

The Hylands serve two mean beef burgers, and both are complicated to order, per the prevailing pre-apocalyptic zeitgeist of making patrons grateful to eat meat. Emily sells a dry-aged burger on a pretzel bun for $26. Emmy Squared sells a grass-fed, wet-aged patty stack with spicy sauce, also on a pretzel bun, for $22. Check out my colleague Nick Solares' reviews for both. But keep in mind that ordering the burgers isn't always easy:

1. Emily's Burger is only available in limited quantities at dinner. It regularly sells out.

2. For a sure fire shot at Emily's burger, go doing brunch, when the burger is available in "unlimited quantities."

3. Emmy Squared serves its burger during lunch in the main dining room, but not at dinner.

4. Patrons can still order the burger at Emmy Squared during dinner if they order it in the downstairs Burger Bar, which also offers a pickle pizza.
  5. Emmy Squared's downstairs burger bar is currently only open on Fridays and Saturdays, but  is expected to expand to other days of the week.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

Thanks!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

The husband-and-wife team behind New York’s hippest pizza chain have been accused of slicing investors out of lucrative plans to expand.

http://pagesix.com/2...07032-719092275

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

That sucks.. Well, one thing we know, you can sue anyone for anything.. I hope they are vindicated.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#22 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

I hope they paid my friend who wrote their book.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

I finally had Emily's famous burger.

While certainly not terrible, I think the burger exemplifies several things wrong with the Burger Trend.

1.  Limited availability.  I got there a little after 7 PM on a Tuesday -- and I got the next-to-the-last available burger.  I personally don't like to eat dinner that early (I did it that day because I was just home from a flight).  But in any event I think it's silly to go to a restaurant for a dish on their regular menu and not know if you'll be able to get it.

2.  Overelaboration.  Don't get me wrong:  this isn't one of those bizarre burger variations like Wilf's been writing about in the "Burger" thread.  But still, now that burgers are a Big Deal, places think they have to make a statement with them.  But how much can you really improve a burger?*  In this case, I think the pretzel bun is a plus.  But I think the Secret Sauce is a minus.  There's just too much going on there -- and I didn't like most of it.  Also, given how rich the blend they use is, I thought the burger was too big (yes, this is me saying that).  This isn't a burger to order if you just want a burger.

Look, I love burgers.  But the problem, I think, is that burgers are being made to bear more significance than I think burgers can bear.

Certainly, being forced to show up way earlier than I want to have dinner, to have THIS, is just stupid.
* Let's trace the history of Fancy Burgers.  There was the DB Burger -- but that wasn't really a burger, it was a Fancy Occasion dish.  Certainly, you wouldn't go get one when you were just in the mood for a burger.

Then, there was the Black Label Burger.  But it -- and its epigones in the McNally Empire -- retained its basic burgeritude.  Unlike the Emily burger, it wasn't huge (which is one reason it always looked so funny when people who didn't want to spend that much for a burger split them).  The texture was different from a regular burger, but otherwise, in size and presentation, it was just like one.

These new Statement Burgers, on the other hand, scream that they're Big Deals.  They present as being More Than Burgers -- without actually being so, like the DB Burger was.  Rather, they're just exaggerated burgers.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

These new Statement Burgers, on the other, scream that they're Big Deals.  They present as being More Than Burgers -- without actually being so, like the DB Burger was.  Rather, they're just exaggerated burgers.

Thank you. Agree 100%. Burgers do not need to be, nor should they, be a big deal; they just need to be good.

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

I think another, and perhaps more accurate, way to put it is that now, places aren't trying to serve good burgers.  They're trying to serve The Best Burger.  But in so doing, they're overloading what is in essence a very simple dish.

(And I'll repeat, fanboy that I am, that I think the McNally places avoid this pitfall.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

I think another, and perhaps more accurate, way to put it is that now, places aren't trying to serve good burgers.  They're trying to serve The Best Burger.  But in so doing, they're overloading what is in essence a very simple dish.

(And I'll repeat, fanboy that I am, that I think the McNally places avoid this pitfall.)

I agree with what you're saying and add something else.  The website says that the burger is $26, the price of a steak frites at a lot of Brooklyn neighborhood spots.  Maybe a bit more.  At that price it better be the Best Burger.

I get it.  If a diner is taking up a seat at dinner the restaurant wants to get a full entree price from them.  Adding in a few better ingredients allows the diner to rationalize that it's worth it.

A case in point.  The burger at Hudson Hound.  Eight ounces, cooked to order, nice bun.  Cheese and good fries included.  $16.  Is the Emily burger better?  Probably.  Is it $10 better?  Probably not.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#27 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

I like the Emily Burger. It's an experience for sure. My family of 4 can order that burger and barely finish it. I have never had more than half a burger and rarely finished my half.

Its a burger but it's in the steak burger genre. The onion sauce is superb and could be put on a shoe and taste delicious.

I really like it, it's a rare treat but when I'm in the mood for that burger, I want that burger
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

Is it really valid for a non-steakhouse to sell a burger that takes a family to finish?  How are customers supposed to know not to order it if they're not splitting it three or four ways (not that anyone at the bar with me was splitting it three or four ways) (I liked that bar:  the other burger-eaters made me look svelt)?  Why do that?  Why not just serve a fucking burger?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:39 PM

I like the Emily Burger. It's an experience for sure. My family of 4 can order that burger and barely finish it.

Are you talking about one burger split 4 ways?

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:17 AM

Remember, the boy is little.

Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill