10 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,548 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

so, i purchased an old hall teapot from a retiring colleague. probably from the 1920s or 1930s, she said. predictably it only lasted a month in our house. this morning our cleaning lady dropped the lid on the floor and three small pieces broke off fairly cleanly. it looks like it should be possible to glue them back together more or less seamlessly. but with what?

the web is full of conflicting advice on glues to use. anyone have any firsthand experience with this? it would have to be a glue that would be able to withstand regular exposure to heat/steam and it would obviously have to be food-safe once cured.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

dental cements work great [they are both food and relatively heat safe]. if you're friendly with your dentist, you can ask

also

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

I use Duco cement and haven't died yet.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,548 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

yes, but in the product description on amazon for duco cement one finds this ominous sentence: "Do not use on repairs that will come in contact with food related items."

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

I use Duco cement and haven't died yet.

Me too.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,548 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

but what evidence do i have that either of you is really alive?

you've used it to glue things that you cook things in?

~homer simpson

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

I've glued coffee mugs and a sugar bowl lid back together but come to think of it, that was a handle and the lid.

Krazy Glue claims that it's non toxic when cured.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#8 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

I've glued coffee mugs and a sugar bowl lid back together but come to think of it, that was a handle and the lid.

Krazy Glue claims that it's non toxic when cured.

I had an ER Dr. tell me to use Krazy Glue for a cut on my finger. Worked quite nicely and saved me having to wait another hour to for what probably would've been a couple, three stitches :ph43r:.

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

My parents also relied on Duco Cement for fixing plates, etc. And while they're both dead, it wasn't the Duco Cement that killed them.

Oh, right, I've also used Krazy Glue.  And that didn't kill me, either. Trust me, I am alive. How do I know that you are?

A teapot cover doesn't really come in contact with the food; a tiny bit of evaporated water, but not really food. Brewing tea is not cooking. Usually, if I break something I cook in, it's not salvageable anyway, too many shards. So no, I don't glue together things I cook in. The crack in my Le Creuset dutch oven (from when Paul dropped it) seems to have healed itself, probably by a buildup of rust.

Jeez, mongo, you're as bad as the people who think that when the "Best by" date has passed, you have to throw out the package of food. That would make you a dupe of Big Food. Sheesh.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#10 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

I suspect your chances of ill effect are greater from some lead or heavy metal used in the glaze on the pot than from Krazy Glue.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,548 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:30 AM

Jeez, mongo, you're as bad as the people who think that when the "Best by" date has passed, you have to throw out the package of food. That would make you a dupe of Big Food. Sheesh.

yes, this is exactly the same thing.

~homer simpson