#31 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

Turns out it's called "Farro but I didn't bother with spellcheck"

It's named Faro after the Italian and Spanish word for lighthouse or beacon, other Romance languages have words with similar spelling and/or pronunciation. Confuses the fuck* out of everybody ...

http://mouthfulsfood...aris/?p=1340822

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Again, let's not forget Aldea, which at best is Galician without that pesky Portuguese i in there. As easy for me to believe Sietsema's explanation as the other one, which I'd expect to have seen in the original PR blurbs (instead several sources that seem to be fed at least in part by Nux mention it's a Greek word, which it isn't. Go figure.)

A creative misspelling?

Anything's possible.

It seemed to me obvious what the name was trying to mean (without input from Nux), although the potential for confusion was obvious too.

#33 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

We'll never know. Good that it doesn't really matter.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#34 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Again, let's not forget Aldea, which at best is Galician without that pesky Portuguese i in there. As easy for me to believe Sietsema's explanation as the other one, which I'd expect to have seen in the original PR blurbs (instead several sources that seem to be fed at least in part by Nux mention it's a Greek word, which it isn't. Go figure.)

i said romance languages, not greek

The name was chosen by the chef long before we came on board.  Finding out what the name means and why it was chosen by the chef/owners is part of the story (see "faro" and/or lighthouse/beacon in the 4 major languages in the family). It's not always the story that media or diners like or want but it doesn't make it less true. 

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#35 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

Maybe you're working for Estiatorio Pharos/Faros too.   ;)

#36 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

There is a random Brooklyn source which says it's the Greek word for lighthouse (because pharos/faro).

I have to say, I find it more plausible that the restaurant owners called it what they wanted to call it, rather than committed a sort of long-term consistent typographical error which nobody involved with the opening spotted.  

#37 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:45 AM

At least three sources including the ever so reliable Village Voice. 

I really don't care if they can't spell (most embarrassing) or they named it after grandpa Faro who then threw a fit and caused them to change the story (somewhat embarrassing), or they really named it Faro (and not il faro or el faro or o faros) because of some hyper-sophisticated argument about cross-roman cooking (can't see their genius) and not because they don't speak any of the languages in question and don't see the awkwardness (overreaching, but okay). 

I've brought Aldea as an example regarding which you'd have made exactly the same claims (how plausible is it that mega-Portuguese chef Mendes won't know the word in his "own" language?) 

And again, we will absolutely never know because the story has to be supported.

p.s. what's Atera?  ;)

#38 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

I think we need to appoint a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of this.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:19 AM

I suggest the owner of Dowel / Dual Deli.

#40 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

Ockham's razor.

I have no idea what Aldea has got to do with it.  There's no pretence that it's the Portuguese spelling, and there's no doubt--is there?--what the name means.

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

In May 2009, Chef George Mendes opened Aldea in Manhattan’s Flatiron neighborhood. Named after the Spanish word for village, the restaurant’s menu is inspired by the Iberian Peninsula and Mendes’ heritage. The chef adds a modern, seasonal approach to create a menu perfectly balanced between rusticity and refinement.

#42 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

That's a great example, because the text didn't use to say "Spanish" originally.  ;)

"...and the opening of Aldea, which means village in Portuguese. " and then I guess the right PR folks come and make things nice and correct. 

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

And you are right.  I withdraw that.

Mendes can't spell village in Portuguese, therefore the Faro team can't spell farro.  Anything is possible, but I'm still settling for the simpler explanation which doesn't require several people to be remarkably ill-informed about a common ingredient, and then creative liars.

#44 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Well, the only way to tell would be to spend time asking Sietsema where he got his info, and then the Village Voice where they got theirs, and finally the Faro people what they like to smoke.  :D

But again, nobody cares.

p.s. of course it's not about Mendes's spelling skills but rather about having someone in place to make sure the story seems consistent and compelling. 

#45 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,553 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

I didn't get my info from anywhere, not from a press release, not even from Nux.  It just seemed obvious to me the name meant lighthouse and not a grain.  Everyone seems to be agreed on that, except Sietsema.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bushwick