83 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

From the Contra stable, and no more than a couple of doors away from its sibling, which allows close chef supervision: review at the Pig.

Has nobody yet been to Willow?  The places are similar in feel and conception.  Willow is better, but I have a dollar says you'll all go to Wildair first.

#2 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

When are you guys going to Rebelle?  I really can't wait to hear what you think.

I think everybody needs to go to (1) Willow and (2) Wildair, and stop worrying about the top level.

Willow's been on my list, because of my interest in moving to Fort Greene / Clinton Hill, but I wasn't / amn't sure I can inflict deeper Brooklyn on my dining companions for such selfish reasons [Blanca got a pass as arguably a destination restaurant].

In fact I've been trying to decide between Rebelle, Bâtard, Willow, S̶e̶m̶i̶l̶l̶a̶ and Fung Tu for dinner next week...

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,818 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

You understand that Willow is literally within vomiting distance of the subway stop.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the mental picture. :P

#5 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

Oh, Willow's not open on Tuesdays.  Pity.

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

The other night, I was having dinner on the rooftop terrace of a friend's apartment (he just moved to Bklyn 4 mos. ago - went to college together, so he's basically my age) on Myrtle, a block or two up from Lulu & Po.  Amazing how that strip is now trendy and how active the nightlife is on that end of the area.  And, of course, Daniel's place will be opening any time now as well off Lafayette.  Moving there seems like a decent plan, even for a neo-con.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

You understand that Willow is literally within vomiting distance of the subway stop.

Not if you take the J.

We're here all week folks.

#8 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

I think having a "Pet'Nat" section rather than a "sparkling" section on your wine list is way more pretentious than saying "bonsoir".

Not as comfortable as Chevalier, and the food isn't as good.

Really liked the squid.

Sauce on the skate and butter with the radishes and butter were both too salty even for me.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#9 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

On the bright side, there were windows.

ETA: Pun not intended.

#10 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

I think having a "Pet'Nat" section rather than a "sparkling" section on your wine list is way more pretentious than saying "bonsoir".

Not as comfortable as Chevalier, and the food isn't as good.

Really liked the squid.

Sauce on the skate and butter with the radishes and butter were both too salty even for me.

Noticed on social media that Wildair/Contra's chefs are in Italy cooking with Massimo Bottura, so their absence might have affected things. I was going to go this weekend and decided against it because of that.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

Thinking of Ryan Sutton's comments about Chevalier and Contra, Wildair puts Contra into context. There's no tasting menu sense of occasion, so you're forced to realize that the food is, like, not bad--okay--nice enough. But not, like, vying to be the best in town.

#12 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:18 AM

Eh. Did people really think Contra was special because it was a "tasting"? I thought of it more as a little prix fixe minus the choices.

They're good restaurants. I like both of them. But from where I sit, they're at least as pretentious as something like Chevalier - they just use hipster tropes instead of old-school elitist ones. And that's fine!

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think critics have tended to overrate Contra because it presents as a chef's choice tasting menu place.  Wildair doesn't have that conceit to hide behind (but it's fine).  I agree the term "tasting menu" is often misused.

#14 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:16 PM

I think it's more that Contra skews New Nordic much more than Wildair does.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

I don't know what the critics will make of Wildair yet.