#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,428 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

From Eater:

CLINTON HILL — Mekelburg's is grocery store meets restaurant. Upfront there's a grocery and deli with porchetta, bread from Mazzola's, chocolate from Mast Brothers and the like, says Brownstoner. In the back, there's a bar with small plates and 16 craft beers, including some brew from Other Half Brewing. There's also a roomy backyard with picnic table seating for 40. The team is still getting some things in order. Status: Soft open. 293 Grand Avenue.

What a funny name for a store.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:47 AM

I'll bet you'd be pretty happy if the "Mekelburg" referred to this. (Give it a chance for the link to settle down. Down, boy.)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,428 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

Oh, I'm happy enough with Daniel and Alicia.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:00 AM

Went to opening day yesterday. The beer selection is very good (16 taps going), the porchetta sandwich was excellent, the space is well designed and roomy, the grocery selection is well chosen (& includes Rancho Gordo beans) & the woman behind the deli counter is hard working & personable. Her husband wasn't bad either. I'd guess we'll be going back reasonably often.

This space available… contact owner.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,824 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Oh, I'm happy enough with Daniel and Alicia.

Wait--you mean this is the place they've been working on all these years? Am I the last to know? Sheesh. (not that it matters)

ETA: I never knew Daniel's family name. And I didn't bother to follow the links. So no wonder I didn't get it.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

Ohh. How cool!
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#7 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Spoiler

Just kidding, of course.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,428 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

For that, you have to go to Roberta's.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

I bet this place will be bigger than Torsk.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#10 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

First pre sale was Rancho Gordo beans. I think it's a good omen.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Yes, yes, it's me... We have been opened two weeks this Sunday.   It has been a lot of work and a life long dream.. We could not be more happy or more exhausted.. We are a gourmet shop, a craft beer bar, a full bar, a cheese shop, a restaurant and we have some really nice outdoor seating.  

We have started with a small but, well rounded bar menu.  We have everything from homemade porchetta sliced thin and made into sandwiches, to bone marrow with toasts and garlic jam, to mackerel with radicchio and a pork skin crostini with pistachio butter.    Anyone who remembers some of the things I have made on the dinner thread will be very familiar with our menu any surprised by some new stuff we recently created. 

Alicia, Miss A and I tons of menu items that we have created @ www.nybiteclub.com over the years.. We have introduced or will be introducing those items as well.  We also look forward to informing our Bite Club members that we are opened. 

I don't really know what is going on now.. We are officially opened but, it's our soft opening.. Which means, we are opened but, not opened, opened.  We are having a grand opening either on my birthday July 7th, or July 10th.. This means we will be informing press and having lots of joint ventures with our suppliers whether it be beer events, cheese events, or just a lot of sampling from our food vendors.. We want to do a lot of fun and interesting things in our space.. 

Anyway, i hope to see you all down here at some point.. Would love the support and of course your feedback..

Happy to answer any questions.  

We have an amazing beer list:

18554606534_ef12329de5_z.jpg

Meat plate:

18928071800_efc893671e_z.jpg

It's a pork belly potato. stuffed with raclette 

18855268606_86337b7217_z.jpg

inside 

18515847653_497d443d3e_z.jpg<a 

soft shell crab blat:

18597535879_688d9b9b0d_z.jpg

18689863808_25e14c0938_z.jpg

caviar potato the other day:  stuffed with black cod collar.

18682853330_d6e596c4de_z.jpg

pork belly with melon "hash" ( i know, i was disappointed when i was told it had to be virgin)

18948847320_4b4961c201_z.jpg

Bone marrow:

18958952686_84dac8ac8a_z.jpg

we carry some really awesome breads.. For example, we have Mazolla's lard and spinach bread everyday.

18816468718_4aaf793074_z.jpg

It's been 130 hour work weeks and despite the time i spend in there, i have forgotten to take photos of the entire place..  

18634812520_a1d68b670b_z.jpg

18797520760_04cde620bd_z.jpg

Porchetta sandwich with broccoli rabe and parm:

18068970173_9c842187e9_z.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Nice work. I look forward to getting here soon!

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

hey thanks.. I still can't believe it's real..  one morning when i was prepping the lettuce for the day, I had a flashback to when i was 14 working in a subshop at the Jersey Shore.. I banged the stem of the lettuce down on the counter and then proceeded to put it on the meat slicer.. I remembered exactly how I felt and it was the exact same routine.. I turned to Alicia and said, when i was a kid I never imagined that I would be doing this same thing in my very own place one day.. Her response was "yes, you did"  and she is right, this is always what I ever wanted.

But, yeh, the exhaustion, the lack of sleep, combined with my happiness and how proud I am of Alicia, it's extremely hard to not start crying all the time. 

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

Plus your children, when you get tired of all that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,277 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Confused by what you wrote, sorry?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill