869 replies to this topic

#451 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Congrats! Coming back to try that as soon as I can stand being outside for more than 10 minutes at a time.

#452 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Considering your handle, that says a LOT.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#453 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

I actually just bought a really light new pair that are as good as one can get for this weather, and it's still miserable being outside.

#454 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

as someone who has their bedroom on the 4th floor of a brownstone, with no air conditioning, I have no sympathy for any of you

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#455 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,410 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

How does someone responsible for one of the best sandwiches in America not have air conditioning?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#456 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

as someone who has their bedroom on the 4th floor of a brownstone, with no air conditioning, I have no sympathy for any of you

I got tired of taking window units in & out each year and we put in a split unit.  With a sandwich like the meatloaf selling (no doubt) like hot cakes, you can afford to do the same up there in the attic that Ms. A has you locked into.  I'll buy an extra bag of peanuts next time if that'll help.

This space available… contact owner.

#457 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

How does someone responsible for one of the best sandwiches in America not have air conditioning?

well, we have a very old house.. The windows do not support box windows as the 150 year old original wood frames would be ripped out.. We then tried doing the floor ac's and the electricity wouldn't support it and the ac unit got fried and broken..  We opted to open a restaurant as opposed to getting our windows fixed and an ac put in..  

So, until we fix the electric, then fix all of the windows in the house, we are stuck in this position..  At this point I am pretty use to it.. i actually don't mind it that much.. Since Karas came back from camp, she brought a second fan that we put in our room.. it's a game changer. 

#458 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

Delightful late lunch at Mekelburg's today.  It was our first visit, and found there was a lot to like.  Very friendly vibe, accommodating bar maid (is that term allowed any more?), jovial neighbors, nicely functioning air conditioning, and an occasional whiff of wood smoke and cooking fragrances as kitchen doors opened, etc.  A very pleasant environment, and I'm sure I'd be there twice a week if I lived anywhere nearby.

Yazoo summer wheat ale ($7 with discount) was fine.  Refreshing on a hot day.  Bell's Special Double was very enjoyable, lots of sweet flavors. Liked the mek and cheese a lot.  Several different cheeses melted into hot pasta, served piping hot in an enameled piece.  It continued to cook, throwing off wonderful fragrances.  This is perfect rainy day, cold, middle of winter food. But, it was fine in August, too.  (I'd love to see an option of chopped porchetta, or finely chopped duck with this, or both. Maybe a Brooklyn cassoulet)

Nana's meatloaf was a superb product.  At first Dee thought this was a meatball sandwich, but it became clear this was a slab of meat loaf, juicy on a wonderful roll.  My ducka, ducka banh mi was a good example of the type. Fragrant chopped duck sausage, shredded carrots, cilantro, greens, finely sliced jalapeno, maybe chopped onions and peppers on a roll.  Liked this a lot.  I wasn't expecting a big Portuguese roll, I figured there would be a cellophane or won ton wrapper.  Liked it, but would have preferred something wetter. Maybe with a ladle of spicy broth on the side. But then it wouldn't have been street food. A pint of Against the Grain ale showed up about this time.  Nice fruity slightly hoppy refreshing

By this time I had introduced myself to Ms A, who graciously stopped by to say hello. She said business has been good, but the weather has been so hot that the outdoor garden space isn't getting a lot of day use.  She later stopped by with four wonderful Sambol oysters as a gift from the house.  Dee doesn't normally eat oysters, but she loved these.  Wonderful spicy dressing, nicely breaded and lightly cooked.  This type of sauce would have been a superb add to the duck, also.

The other guests in mid afternoon were probably typical of the local community.  People working on laptops, answering phones, talking about concerts and old friends, giving legal advice, drinking some beer, discussing health insurance plans for small business, etc. It seemed like a great cross section of people at work.

With tip, the bill came to about $90, we left about $20 tip, I believe.  Not cheap, very top notch ingredients, well prepared.  Next time I'm there, I want to pay more attention to the cheese selection up front.  There's a wealth of unusual and interesting selections.

=======================

We stopped by the community garden immediately next store. A farmer was watering his dill and peppers. A mom was taking a picture of her kid in a playhouse.  Huge amounts of basil in full swing. Tomatoes and peppers ripening nicely.  Good use of a small space.

Saw a nice looking restaurant on the corner of Lafayette and Grand called Marietta's. Didn't go in, but it looked eminently presentable, well dressed, etc.

Lots of work going on along Lafayette street on the way to the G train. The trades are doing well. Electricians, sheet rockers, plumbers, masons, etc were all in evidence.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#459 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:02 AM

Oddly, if you walk the same distance in the other direction, you'd be standing in front of a Michelin-starred restaurant.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#460 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,340 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

I like to sleep out on the fire escape, as my great-grandparents before me did.

#461 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

Daniel, I just got an email from a conference taking place in NYC at the end of the month asking for local attendees to volunteer to shepherd groups of 6 to 10 for dinner on Monday or Tuesday. Mekelburg's was my first thought. It's too long since I've been, and it would be a great way for people to unwind after two intense days. I'll be in touch privately when I have more details about numbers.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#462 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Daniel, I just got an email from a conference taking place in NYC at the end of the month asking for local attendees to volunteer to shepherd groups of 6 to 10 for dinner on Monday or Tuesday. Mekelburg's was my first thought. It's too long since I've been, and it would be a great way for people to unwind after two intense days. I'll be in touch privately when I have more details about numbers.

Sounds great, thank you.. Tuesdays are a mad house but, Monday would work.. Exciting. 

#463 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Are Tuesday's that busy due to the trivia night? 

We'd very much like to bring our gang down for it but it'a a tough order on a Tuesday night. Glad it's a success!

#464 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

Nana's meatloaf was a superb product.  At first Dee thought this was a meatball sandwich, but it became clear this was a slab of meat loaf, juicy on a wonderful roll.  My ducka, ducka banh mi was a good example of the type. Fragrant chopped duck sausage, shredded carrots, cilantro, greens, finely sliced jalapeno, maybe chopped onions and peppers on a roll.  Liked this a lot.  I wasn't expecting a big Portuguese roll, I figured there would be a cellophane or won ton wrapper.  Liked it, but would have preferred something wetter. Maybe with a ladle of spicy broth on the side. But then it wouldn't have been street food. A pint of Against the Grain ale showed up about this time.  Nice fruity slightly hoppy refreshing

By this time I had introduced myself to Ms A, who graciously stopped by to say hello. She said business has been good, but the weather has been so hot that the outdoor garden space isn't getting a lot of day use.  She later stopped by with four wonderful Sambol oysters as a gift from the house.  Dee doesn't normally eat oysters, but she loved these.  Wonderful spicy dressing, nicely breaded and lightly cooked.  This type of sauce would have been a superb add to the duck, also.

The other guests in mid afternoon were probably typical of the local community.  People working on laptops, answering phones, talking about concerts and old friends, giving legal advice, drinking some beer, discussing health insurance plans for small business, etc. It seemed like a great cross section of people at work.

Next time I'm there, I want to pay more attention to the cheese selection up front.  

=======================

I am happy you came yesterday as today is kind of crazy with Pratt returning shortly.. It's so strange, the neighborhood.. Pratt has close to 5 thousand kids and starts August 22nd.. So, we could be empty one moment and then an architecture class lets out and all of a sudden, literally 25 people will all come in at once...  The first time it happened, i watched 40 some kids march down the street.. All i kept saying to myself as I watched them was "please come in, please come in, please come in"  I watched as the passed the first bar on my street, I watched as they passed the second bar on my street.. I was prepared to tackle the leader in order to get them in.. But, fortunately, the days of my having to stand on the street with coasters, trying to sell our place have gone away.. 

But with 5 thousand kids and another thousand or so staff working and living a few blocks away, summer is a slow time for us.. But, we are also excited as a new 87 unit building is opening up September 1st, a block away.. IN addition, there is a 15 story building being built less than a block away as well. So, will bring another thousand or so people living with in a block of us.. 

In terms of the sandwich, the Duck Bahn Mi is pieces of  bbq duck, mixed with duck confit, a hoison mayo, mixed with pickled carrots and cucumbers.  I am sorry about the dryness, i am wondering if they forgot  your mayo? 

I love that butter that the oysters have.. That is a compound butter with make in the back that I some times add to roasted corn which is pretty fantastic. 

You should have checked out the cheese counter because i think you would have been shocked to see, our tiny kitchen and prep space hiding behind the cheese counter.. As we are in a basement, we can't go any lower. Which also created a unique experience for our kegs.. Our kegs are literally leaning against that wall with the taps. .So, as some places have these long tap lines that come up from the cellar, our beer travels less than 5 feet from the keg to the glass.. This makes clean lines, no beer stuck in the lines but, creates a foam issue were we lose more than most places. 

Our place is pretty wild as, we do all of our prep through out the day.. So, when the kitchen is busy, we have two cooks, one cheese monger and one prep cook, all jockying for the  less than 10 feet of counter space..  The whole kitchen, with only ovens, (no boiling water or frying or grilling) takes place in the space behind the counter and in one of two ovens.   

Thank you again for coming, i really appreciate the fact that you traveled to come see us. 

#465 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

Are Tuesday's that busy due to the trivia night? 

We'd very much like to bring our gang down for it but it'a a tough order on a Tuesday night. Glad it's a success!

yeh, tuesdays are packed.. If anyone wanted to come I can reserve a seat.. But, Tuesday's were once our slowest night and now they are as good as a friday night at our place..  

My buddy is a stand up comedian and books shows at Gotham Comedy Club.. He will be running a comedy night, first wednesday of every month starting in October.  The 5th I believe.. I am hoping this takes off as I love stand up and would love to support that world.. I know it's a tough business filled with some incredibly passionate and talented people.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clinton Hill