56 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

best airlines? virgin or jet blue or do i use up some american airlines gift cards. 

where to eat that's new and exciting in SF?

where to eat in Palo Alto? is the garden court the place to stay in PA?

where to stay in Napa? I will happily figure out where to eat for myself but would be grateful for one or two wildcards

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:32 AM

If you know any vintners, some of them have rooms available.  If by Napa, you mean somewhere in Napa Valley as opposed to the city, the two most upscale spots are probably Meadowwood and Auberge du Soleil.

Then that happened.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:38 AM

If you know any vintners, some of them have rooms available.  If by Napa, you mean somewhere in Napa Valley as opposed to the city, the two most upscale spots are probably Meadowwood and Auberge du Soleil.

i was thinking i'd love to stay at auberge du soleil but i'd be guilt ridden to do so when i think about all children starving in the world. so maybe a nice midrange hotel somewhere in the valley, not so much the city

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

A more modest establishment:  .http://www.booking.c...e=total;ucfs=1

I would think RG might have some connections/recommendations.

Then that happened.

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:56 AM

A more modest establishment:  .http://www.booking.c...e=total;ucfs=1

I would think RG might have some connections/recommendations.

that's adorable! i think i know almost exactly where this is. just across the road from french laundry, no?

~Jack Handey

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:57 AM

pretty close

Then that happened.

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:09 AM

kin khao is on my list for sf. thinking about staying at indians springs in calistoga for the napa leg of my journey

~Jack Handey

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,635 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

I think you might like The Progress, too.

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

have added lunch at addendum and dinner at ad hoc to my itinerary. need suggestions for mid range places in SF and Palo Alto for breakfast and dinners. thank yew in advance

the progress does look like a good possibility :)

~Jack Handey

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

Kin Khao. Winner winner chicken dinner!
Loved the drunken noodles and the mushroom terrine thing in a jar.

~Jack Handey

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:45 AM

went to 

kin khao - SF

coupa cafe - palo alto

addendum - yountville

ad hoc - yountville

station house cafe - point reyes

some other places i can't recall

also poked around taramasso ranch in napa and got a mess of farm fresh eggs that i cooked with all week. got to cook all week with mindblowingly fresh ingredients. 

tried to book petit logis but all 5 of their rooms were already booked. never did get around to dim sum but heard that there's a place in berkeley that's not to be missed. will get the name for youse

~Jack Handey

#12 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:56 AM

did you get to meet doc?

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

did you get to meet doc?

i met him years ago, but yes, we did go for a nice walk

~Jack Handey

#14 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:37 AM

Awww! I'm jealous! He seems like such a fun dog. His owner seems ok too :-)

#15 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,635 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:18 AM

You were busy.

Then that happened.