93 replies to this topic

#16 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,710 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

Awww! I'm jealous! He seems like such a fun dog. His owner seems ok too :-)

he's an awesome doggy

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,710 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

You were busy.

there was outlet shopping and hanging with friends too

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,710 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

so glad we got stuck in traffic and missed the wine train or i might be writing this from jail

~Jack Handey

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

A good downtown option for dinner?  I knew obvious contenders like Coi, Benu, and Saison would be expensive, but didn't realize they'd galloped past Blanca/MomoKo prices and were headed into Brooklyn Fare territory.  Worth it?

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

No thoughts?  I did read the SF in 2014 thread.  Other than some Italian possibilities, I'm hoping there's somewhere good where the check won't be over $400 pp.

#21 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Californios and Sous Beurre both look interesting.

#22 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

I haven't been here long enough to recommend anything. And some of the places I have been to, apart from Kin Khao (which is AWESOME), I wasn't thrilled by.

I had a business lunch at Perbacco last week. It's a potentially good restaurant, except when I went, there were a few service hiccups that reminded me of a Benny Hill movie.

You might like Alta and The Cavalier. See my "Adventure" thread for pix.

#23 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

http://www.lordstanleysf.com/ is supposed to be good -- if you trust Michael Bauer.

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Thanks, will check these out. Kin Khao is obviously a possibility too.

#25 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

I really liked Perbacco.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#26 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

I liked the food for the most part; their desserts need work (although maybe I ordered wrong).

But someone needs to train their waiters to remember who ordered what. I shouldn't be getting a plate from a table 20 feet away. And a tablemate's order never arrived, although we were comped by the kitchen to make up for that oversight.

#27 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:23 PM

I ate at the bar (yes, you read that right: Suzanne ate at the bar!) and had no service issues. Alone. And probably didn't order dessert (I don't remember; would have to look if I posted about it.

I'd put in another plug for Atelier Crenn, but it's not "downtown"--it's in Cow Hollow. Love that name!

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#28 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Went to Slanted Door's takeout place today for lunch.

Saigon roast pork banh mi was average: decent amount of meat, mediocre spicing and forgettable carrots/pickles.

#29 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:56 PM

20808154100_b29942cf8d_z.jpg

Doesn't seem so terribly exciting.

#30 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

Friend is driving back from Sacramento to SFO this evening.  Any place Mouthfuls would recommend to stop for dinner en route [Google plots a course through the Mission!]?  Some place affordable [I feel like this means < $30?] and comfortable for a lone diner...  Cheers.