111 replies to this topic

#31 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

i like almost anyplace on the block with bi-rite for a nice bite in that price range. and if they don't mind downtown, kin khao is nice for a solo diner

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#32 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

The Bi-Rite in the block of 18th St near Tartine?  How difficult is it to park there?

#33 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

The Bi-Rite in the block of 18th St near Tartine?  How difficult is it to park there?

you probably won't find parking right on that block but if you have good parking karma we've had good luck on 16th and 17th near dolores or guerrero and some of the small alleys nearby and there's a parking garage on 18th between guerrero and valencia

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#34 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,016 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:10 AM

Kin Khao is seriously good.

#35 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:22 AM

headed back in November staying in Glen Park and bopping between there, Palo Alto and Napa. what's hot and what's not?

~Jack Handey

#36 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:35 AM

will be in Napa area in 2 weeks and get quality suggestions...Napa only-or are you good for points north of Napa?

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:48 AM

will be in Napa area in 2 weeks and get quality suggestions...Napa only-or are you good for points north of Napa?

north of is cool, thanks! 

~Jack Handey

#38 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

29350629374_4ec586606e_z.jpg

Not mayonnaise-y, and nice buttery bread.

Lobster rolls are a rare treat in SF.  Woodhouse does theirs well.

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:49 AM

so where am i eating breakfast lunch and dinner in the Glen Park, SF neighborhood? 

~Jack Handey

#40 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

When do you need to have breakfast?   Bernal Star serves at 10am.    Probably a decent lunch choice.   But why do you need to stay on the hill for dinner?    The #24 Divisidero takes you down to Market and the Castro et al.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:03 AM

When do you need to have breakfast?   Bernal Star serves at 10am.    Probably a decent lunch choice.   But why do you need to stay on the hill for dinner?    The #24 Divisidero takes you down to Market and the Castro et al.

thanks. i don't know the neighborhood and i'd just like to understand the options within walking distance. 10 am might be a little late most days.

~Jack Handey

#42 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

I had a bf: wrong neighborhood.    Glen Park has lots of good eating.    Gialina on Diamond is one of my favorite, honest little restaurants -> super pizza and excellent protein plates.   http://gialina.com/menu.html   They do gluten free pizza.    La P'tit Laurent on Chenery is good.    For earlier in the day, La Cometa Taqueria is very good for Mexican.   

The Diamond/Chenery area is full of decent small restaurants, plus excellent if pricey Canyon Market for top groceries and wine.  This area is bustling!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#43 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

I had a bf: wrong neighborhood.    Glen Park has lots of good eating.    Gialina on Diamond is one of my favorite, honest little restaurants -> super pizza and excellent protein plates.   http://gialina.com/menu.html   They do gluten free pizza.    La P'tit Laurent on Chenery is good.    For earlier in the day, La Cometa Taqueria is very good for Mexican.   

The Diamond/Chenery area is full of decent small restaurants, plus excellent if pricey Canyon Market for top groceries and wine.  This area is bustling!

that's great, thanks! i know there is also a great greenmarket. i'm also looking forward to cooking, while i'm there

~Jack Handey

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Voyager, you mentioned a nice bakery in your neighborhood a while ago. I'd love to check it out to get ideas for things i can recreate or riff on gluten free.

~Jack Handey

#45 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

There are two significant bakeries near us.   

Arsicault on Arguello at Clement is classic French: croissants, kouign amann, pain au chocolat, morning rolls, tarts.   Good coffee.   And a line.    If there is no line, they are either closed (at 1pm) or they have sold out which is often the case.     http://richmondsfblo...th-a-heritage/

Note that this is an old article and new hours are
Open Tuesday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Closed Monday.

B Patisserie is a couple of years older and offers a broader selection, croissants and kouign amann for sure, but also a large selection of sweet pastries and tarts.   Sandwich shop diagonally across California at Divisadero.   Closed Monday.   http://bpatisserie.com/

These are two completely different operations, one a shoebox sized one-man kitchen, the other very professionally equipped and staffed, but both using the highest quality ingredients (you can smell the warm butter and sugar half a block away) and honest craftsmanship and personal devotion of the baker.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.