56 replies to this topic

#46 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

There are two significant bakeries near us.   

Arsicault on Arguello at Clement is classic French: croissants, kouign amman, pain au chocolat, morning rolls, tarts.   Good coffee.   And a line.    If there is no line, they are either closed (at 1pm) or they have sold out which is often the case.     http://richmondsfblo...th-a-heritage/

Note that this is an old article and new hours are
Open Tuesday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Closed Monday.

B Patisserie is a couple of years older and offers a broader selection, croissants and kouign amman for sure, but also a large selection of sweet pastries and tarts.   Sandwich shop diagonally across California at Divisadero.   Closed Monday.   http://bpatisserie.com/

These are two completely different operations, one a shoebox sized one-man kitchen, the other very professionally equipped and staffed, but both using the highest quality ingredients (you can smell the warm butter and sugar half a block away) and honest craftsmanship and personal devotion of the baker.

nice! even though i can't eat most of the stuff anymore i love looking at it and smelling it baking

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#47 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

here's a partial list of SF places i was told to check out. i'd love to hear from anyone who has sampled the good at any of these places

Cockscomb

The Cavalier

Hogs and Rocks 

Atelier Crenn (probably too fishy for my taste)

Coqueta

Flour + Water

Trick Dog (for drinks)

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#48 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,296 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Try Benu and Petit Crenn - less fishy than the real Crenn.

#49 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,635 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Flour + Water - yes, good.

Trick Dog - prepare to get drunk. Yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

#50 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

waiting to hear back from flour + water if they can accommodate my special snowflake dietary needs

~Jack Handey

#51 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,886 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

waiting to hear back from flour + water if they can accommodate my special snowflake dietary needs

For you,  + water

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#52 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

For you,  + water

basically

~Jack Handey

#53 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,481 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

Headed back soon when it's not CloudWorldForce, so will re-address Petit Crenn.

#54 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

so we sort of played every day by ear and cooked at home a lot

slanted door

mariposa

roli roti

tartine

pica pica

dandelion chocolate

norman rose tavern (napa)

casa del sol (menlo park)

mitchell's ice cream

la palma

kin khao

shopped the farmer's markets and visited a friend's winery and really enjoyed the fancy food show

i think i've forgotten a bunch of stuff

~Jack Handey

#55 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

how was kin khao?

#56 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

how was kin khao?

that food was great. i felt like there were fewer choices than my last visit. the cocktails and soft drinks were genius. service was sort of uneven but that may be by design. my guest really enjoyed overall. thinking about the mushroom curry pot makes me smile as i type this. the pork belly was luxuriously rich. there were some rancho gordo beans that i really enjoyed despite their evil origins

~Jack Handey

#57 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

how was kin khao?

that food was great....thinking about the mushroom curry pot makes me smile as i type this.....there were some rancho gordo beans that i really enjoyed despite their evil origins

If you need to revisit the mushroom curry pot, this comes close.   http://cooking.nytim...ushroom-hor-mok

And I have to say that the RG beans were close to my favorite dish.   Fortunately, the rest of the table was more concentrated on the proteins, so I really scored big time!

A tavola non s'invecchia.