86 replies to this topic

#76 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yes, we liked Monsieur Benjamin too, but I think we like Rich Table (serving it's regular menu) even more.

#77 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

So many other dishes to try too. Only thing off was the cassoulet, which kind of relieved me of the obligation.

#78 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

The Rich Table manager passed me the card and said he'll set me up next time, so still high on the list.

Very well handled situation.

#79 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

Interesting.   I would never think of ordering cassoulet in SF.   

The other thought that occurs to me, putting myself in your shoes at Rich Table, I would always wonder what I missed on the chef's menu, knowing the caliber of the house.    But then, as my husband says, I dine out to learn rather than chasing tried and true. 

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#80 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:23 AM

Yes, I wanted to know what Rich Table is really about.

I was honestly happy to have the cassoulet out of the equation, although it was a cool evening. I'm hypercritical--but then that's why I resist ordering tripe (I've been cooking it forever and think I know it), but they nailed it.

#81 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

I give Rich Table huge props. I flew that day, it was 11pm New York time, I really did not want my one restaurant meal on that trip to be red sauce Italian, and I thought there'd be an argument (place was full).

Hospitality gold star.

#82 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

Oh man, if I walked into someplace having a special high-class good-restaurant-quality Red Sauce menu, I'd think, "Thank you, God."

Bar Loser

MF Old

#83 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

It's entirely personal. Traveling 8 hours across three time zones for rigatoni alla vodka is my nightmare.

#84 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,312 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

It's entirely personal. Traveling 8 hours across three time zones for rigatoni alla vodka is my nightmare.

I read someone say that their idea of hell was to be trapped in a bad bar that only had 2 songs in the jukebox.  Both by Pat Benatar.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#85 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Just for the record - I don't serve at the table, just the counter.

#86 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,962 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:12 AM

That's a fine write up.  I had to stop and reread when I got to the pours of $10 Beaujolais.  That's a disconnect with NYC pricing, for sure.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#87 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,370 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:26 AM

Right. For whatever reason, while food costs in SF restaurants are high, wine prices seem reasonable (from my small sample).