36 replies to this topic

#1 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

Nanny is taking vacation the week of August 10th, which means I'm taking the week off. We need to be back in NYC for a wedding on 8/16. Blovie's and my idea of a good vacation is od'ing on theatre and museums. The little one feels differently. And we need to be able to drive it - I'm scared to fly with him.

Future Legacy Participant.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:10 AM

hamptons, cape cod, rehoboth beach, beach bungalow in the rockaways

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,998 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:48 AM

Nanny is taking vacation the week of August 10th, which means I'm taking the week off. We need to be back in NYC for a wedding on 8/16. Blovie's and my idea of a good vacation is od'ing on theatre and museums. The little one feels differently. And we need to be able to drive it - I'm scared to fly with him.

You must be the last considerate living parent.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

I was actually just thinking about how nice the Delmarva Peninsula was, and how long it's been since I've been there.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Washington D.C.?

This space available… contact owner.

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

How far a drive do you think he can handle?

What about the outer banks with the drive broken up with DC?

Can he walk yet? The national zoo has some super 2 year old friendly stuff. Ab^2 loved it.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

DC is an interesting idea. Any roadtrip lasting more than 3 hours will probably require a stop.

He's not walking unassissted just yet, and when he walks while holding your hand he looks like a druken sailor. But he loves zoos - the one in Central Park is part of his regular rotation.

I toyed with New London/Newport/Boston but maybe Philadelphia/DC would work. And I probably can wrangle someone to babysit in DC (that's the other issue - we can't go out at night as the boy goes to sleep at 7pm)

Keep those suggestions coming!

#8 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

You must be the last considerate living parent.

It's purely selfish. No way this kid will sit either on my or his dad's lap for more than 10 minutes. He's a perpetual motion machine. And then there's all the crap he travels with. I don't want to deal with it.

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

We did a lap flight once. Once.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#10 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

I suggested D.C. because the Smithsonian Museums are all free and have very varied themes that might/might not hold his attention and that, best of all, you can leave whenever he needs to go out to the ample grounds outside and then come back in when you want or go to another one.  Ginny was even able to keep me relatively happy doing this, so it should be a breeze for you.

This space available… contact owner.

#11 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,441 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

Only one thing about DC.

In August.

It's hot as fuck (yes, hotter, humid-er, and more swamp-like than NYC can shake a stick at).

Cape Ann is nice. We did a Newburyport/Gloucester thing, and it was great. But we didn't have a child with us, other than me.

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

why do you let your nanny take vacation?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#13 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

You know, Blovie joked that we need a second nanny for weekends and vacations. It would make this a lot less stressful.

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

You know, Blovie joked that we need a second nanny for weekends and vacations. It would make this a lot less stressful.

it's certainly the way that our betters handle the situation

~Jack Handey

#15 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Boston is a nice weekend to four day destination.  And, you can take the train.  No shortage of museums / restaurants.

Wilmington DE is quite nice, as well.  Winterthur, The Hagley, Longwood Gardens.  You can pick up a car at the train station

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.