5 replies to this topic

#1 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

I will be heading to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival at the end of September. I need some suggestions for restaurants around the Colorado Convention Center and downtown. I don't need anything fancy. Just honest, good food. Take out is a plus.

Thanks!

Dan

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:27 AM

Check this thread out.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

A short walk from the Convention Center, you have Euclid Hall with, MORE beer, sausage pairings, chicken and waffles and the like.  Osterio Marco, on Larimer, for roast chicken, wood fired pizzas, burrata with leeks. I do think they do takeout.  The 16th street free people mover really opens up your access to the entire downtown area. You can take it right down to the newly refurbished Union Station. Beautifully re-done and worth a visit.  There, you will find Zoe Ma Ma, an offshoot of the one in Boulder, hand pulled noodles, excellent dumplings. Try the Lion Head or Braised Beef. Very good for takeout. You will also find The Kitchen Next Door, also a good take away option. They do great salads, pulled pork sandwich, great meatball with soft polenta and the ubiquitous in Boulder and everywhere else, kale salad.  Still at Union Station, the Mercantile has great upscale dining but they also have a market with great house cured meats and cheeses for another good to go sandwich option.

Check out ChonLon for amazing "non-authentic" onion soup dumplings and other great dishes.

If you can get away from downtown and into the Five Points neighborhood, try Cart Driver in a re-purposed shipping container, for amazing woodfired pizza, oysters, and prosecco on tap (if you get sick of beer) or their next door neighbor, Work and Class -- meats by the pound, the cabrito and cohinita pibil are worth the inevitable wait, and the house batched cocktails are quite delicious. For more shipping containers, Avanti just opened in the LoHi neighborhood, about a 15 m

That should get you started. In the link that Sneak gave you, above, The Source is great but not conveniently located to downtown. Crooked Stave is amazing if you have a passion for sours and Acorn is great for both their shared plates -- try the charred octopus -- and craft cocktails.

#4 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the details. I will be representing a brewery, so I think I will have fewer beers than most of the people attending this year. Gotta remain sober when talking about the brewery.

Do you have any suggestions for coffee? Are there any good grocery stores in the area? The burratta does sound fantastic.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

#5 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

Huckleberry Roasters is local and very good, but they are over in the Five Points neighborhood, as is Crema which sources their beans from several different roasters. There is an Amante Coffee that is local and very good. They just opened on 17th near Wazee. I haven't been to Little Owl but it is probably the closest to the convention center, so if you check it out, report back!

#6 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

I really like what they've done with Union Station.

For drinks, Green Russell was nice.  (Proof that I'm old, so the bartender is making an off-menu Bramble for someone next to me and describing it.  I said, "it put Dick Bradsell on the map"...bartender was like, "who?"  "Kind of the English Dale DeGroff"...I don't think he knew who that was either...but fine drinks, good conversation.  Comp disclosure: a Negroni.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.