19 replies to this topic

#1 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

Shocker: Dustin Johnson in the lead on Thursday. I actually picked him to win this week. I think his return to heavy cocaine use may help overcome his golf demons. :)

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'm just pissed that coverage of this pre-empted reruns of Bones on TNT today.

This space available… contact owner.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Nice to see Day get his major.  And I think there are some quality young players who actually exhibit sportsmanship - a quality somewhat lacking in football, basketball, baseball, soccer..

#4 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

Agreed, Day sure seems like a good guy who has been knocking on the door in the majors. Spieth's thumbs up on one of Day's long putts was a treat to see. An athlete giving credit to a competitor is all to rare.

Ambrose Bierce

#5 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

I can vouch that he is a great guy. One of my favorites to deal with. As is Spieth. The last few years have brought some really great kids to the Tour. The number of players I hate to deal with is definitely falling . Makes work almost pleasant most of the time.

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

I can vouch that he is a great guy. One of my favorites to deal with. As is Spieth. The last few years have brought some really great kids to the Tour. The number of players I hate to deal with is definitely falling . Makes work almost pleasant most of the time.

You know, I've always felt like why shouldn't they be pleasant? 

They're fucking playing a game, outdoors, in some of the most beautiful locations in the world, for chrissakes.

#7 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

Years ago when he was in his heyday, I met Craig Stadler. Not nice. And didn't leave a tip at the bar he was at; for hours.

Ambrose Bierce

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,342 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

yeah, but they're playing a stupid game. that has to make them feel angry about their life choices.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

You know, I've always felt like why shouldn't they be pleasant? 

They're fucking playing a game, outdoors, in some of the most beautiful locations in the world, for chrissakes.

Believe me, I totally agree. You would be amazed though at how many are nasty / unpleasant. And the whining about courses when they are playing for such huge purses and getting incredible perks at all the tournaments. I would tee it up in a parking lot and be thrilled about it for that opportunity. I just hope these young kids stay the course of being pleasant and showing that good sportsmanship. I've seen too many of them 'forget' that when they become successful :-(

#10 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I just hope these young kids stay the course of being pleasant and showing that good sportsmanship. I've seen too many of them 'forget' that when they become successful :-(

So I wonder - is it their fault that they "forget," once they become successful?

There was an interesting Times piece yesterday, re: The Tough Celebrity Profile, which mentions an early Tiger Woods' interview... 

a young male celebrity, in the first flush of fame, talks unguardedly (and grandiosely) to a writer who decides not to play by the usual rules of the game.

After protracted negotiations with Mr. Woods’s team at International Management Group, Mr. Pierce was granted access to the golfer during a limousine ride from a photo shoot.

In that short span he captured a side of Mr. Woods that golf insiders (but not the public) had already observed. Mr. Woods “told some puerile and sexist jokes,” Mr. Pierce wrote of the exchange, and the golfer repeated racial stereotypes about African-American men, which were detailed in the article.

#11 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

I just hope these young kids stay the course of being pleasant and showing that good sportsmanship. I've seen too many of them 'forget' that when they become successful :-(

So I wonder - is it their fault that they "forget," once they become successful?

There was an interesting Times piece yesterday, re: The Tough Celebrity Profile, which mentions an early Tiger Woods' interview... [/size]

a young male celebrity, in the first flush of fame, talks unguardedly (and grandiosely) to a writer who decides not to play by the usual rules of the game.

After protracted negotiations with Mr. Woods’s team at International Management Group, Mr. Pierce was granted access to the golfer during a limousine ride from a photo shoot.

In that short span he captured a side of Mr. Woods that golf insiders (but not the public) had already observed. Mr. Woods “told some puerile and sexist jokes,” Mr. Pierce wrote of the exchange, and the golfer repeated racial stereotypes about African-American men, which were detailed in the article.

I personally think they just keep hearing how great and special they are (and that's not limited to golf, I see it with football and basketball too). People jump through hoops to please them (or get them to commit to play in their tournaments ;-O ) and they start to believe they don't need to be the person they were before they made it big. I've been on Tour over 30 years and have seen this process repeat over and over. I could tell you stories that would completely change your perceptions of some of these guys. It's sad that some of the guys who get good press are really some of the worst. While others who get pilloried in the press do an incredible amount of good that never becomes public because they are trying to do good, rather than seek attention for doing good. I just hope this latest crop of kids can stay grounded. I think Day, Spieth and Fowler will thanks to their backgrounds. With some of the others, time will tell.

#12 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

After watching the PGA this week, it's off to Kohler next summer with my golfing group.

Ambrose Bierce

#13 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,332 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:35 PM

Tiger Woods arrested for DUI:

http://www.cnn.com/2...s-arrested-dui/

Ambrose Bierce

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

Tiger Woods arrested for DUI:

http://www.cnn.com/2...s-arrested-dui/

Yes, it's getting a lot of local coverage locally.

Mr Woods may be a fine individual, but he's made a few poor choices in recent years. He's had some issues with his neighbors, had some difficulty with the town over his huge shopping complex, etc.

I'm surprised he doesn't have a driver/car when he parties.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#15 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

As someone who knows him (and has since he was 16), this saddens me so very much. I hate the glee and pleasure people are expressing on social media. And, for most of us who drink alcohol and have cars, it's probably safe to say 'there but for the grace of God'...But, I'd also guess pain meds were probably involved. 

As a dear friend who is an attorney always says: take a cab (or these days Uber  :P ). It's much cheaper than a DUI.