6 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:20 AM

New York Times article on the explosion of culture and restaurants in Quebec City.  It's not really news, but the NYT survey is a useful map.

La Planque  1027, 3e Avenue

Almost as local were the ingredients on the plate, something that we found at almost every meal we had during our trip.

“It’s part of me, using products from Canada,” Mr. St.-Pierre said. A tartare of bison (from Alberta) was rich and pleasantly funky. Delicate, lightly cooked New Brunswick salmon arrived mingled with blue mussels escabeche, like sweet and sour candy from the sea. We shared three Québécois cheeses, an excellent end to a spectacular meal.

Legende, par la Taniere  235 Rue St Paul

We started with a platter of charcuterie (mostly house-made) and some oysters, all excellent. The food that followed was the most ambitious (and expensive) we had in town, but also satisfying, even homey: pork belly with radish and fennel; a brouillade of morels and ram’s head mushrooms and foie gras in consommé. We paired it all with two bottles of wonderfully crisp, fruity white wines from the Niagara region.

and

Le Clocher Penché 203, rue St.-Joseph Est; 418-640-0597; clocherpenche.ca/en.

Deux22 222, rue St.-Joseph Est; 581-742-5222; deux22.com.

Dose Bar à Café 542, Boulevard Charest Est; dosebaracafe.com.

http://www.nytimes.c...ctionfront&_r=0

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Wall Street Journal offers a "concierge guide" to Quebec City. That usually amounts to asking a chef, an artist, a writer, and one other person what's happening these days.

L'Affaire est Ketchup

Legende

Rem Koolhaas' new St Roch creation Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec will open later this year.

Gourmet and restaurant owner Arnaud Marchand suggests Restaurant Initiale. "I used to work at this very inventive French restaurant 10 years ago and really respect the chef, Yvan Lebrun. He is passionate about food and using local products. Try the scallops." 54 rue St.-Pierre in the art district, just off Cote de Montagne.   https://www.relaisch...e-quebec-quebec

Festival operator Daniel Gelinas mentions  French Fare // Le Saint-Amour. "It’s famous for its classic French cuisine. When musicians come to Quebec City, like Sting or Paul McCartney, they all eat here." 48 rue St.-Ursule, saint-amour.com

http://www.wsj.com/a...7038670?tesla=y

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#3 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

How is Alberta "local" to Quebec City?
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

huh?

#5 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

From OP, on La Planque.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

During an early summer visit, my wife and I started our exploration at the workplace of another of those young chefs: the restaurant La Planque in Limoilou, a working-class neighborhood on the other side of the St.-Charles River now peppered with hipster types. We wandered through its broad, leafy streets, passing a street fair where a girl not older than 7 wowed a small crowd with her skateboarding technique. (Having to survive long, hard winters means Quebec is packed with fairs and festivals all summer.)

Niccolò Machiavelli

#7 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

From OP, on La Planque.

oh right, I hadn't read that through clearly. I often think of alberta as being in my own backyard.  :P