96 replies to this topic

#31 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

The increase in Asian restaurants in the Stuart area is amazing. Probably five or six Thai places I know about. And a sources store for Thai and Filipino etc ingredients. Port Saint Lucie has seen a lot of Cuban and Puerto Rican restaurant activity, these are considered somewhat exotic by old timers.

Definitely true about the 50/60 year olds pushing out the older old folks in some areas. In my sister's neighborhood in Las Olas, she's the oldest person by. 20 years.

Yeah, while we were passing though the area after our Orlando vacation a few months ago we noticed a TON of highly-rated Thai places in your area on Yelp. Didn't stop at them though, we ended up doing more seafood.

Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#32 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

FPL, the local power company, has been hardening its electric distribution network. The plan is to replace 500 miles of wooden utility poles with a mix of steel and concrete pylons. Like those used in the FL Keys. Screwing up traffic as they replace poles and wires. Temporary inconvenience, permanent improvements, I hope.

---------

Lunch today at a Jon Smith Subs in West Palm Beach. JSS is a regional sub sandwich chain in Palm Beach County. Over stuffed smoked roast beef sandwich, N'Awlins style with sliced steak, never frozen, onions, peppers, a remoulade sauce, served on a decent roll. Not a Philly roll, but OK. Nice sandwich, would try it again.

----------

Took a nice walk through one of West Palm Beach's design districts today. The 3200 to 3700 blocks of South Dixie Highway are chock full of consignment shops, designers, wall paper, furniture makers, etc. Very expensive stuff ($7,000 for a very nice used chair, $10,000 for a nice chandelier etc)

The neighborhood is mostly one and two story buildings, 1950s former auto dealers, supermarkets, with lots of interior work and display space.

There's a different neighborhood on the north side of WPB, which has a number of music clubs, small galleries, etc. Off U.S. 1 in the teens and low twenties. Maybe visit there next week.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#33 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

The abundance of personal accident injury lawyer advertising is amazing. On the 6pm news, five different companies had commercials in a 30 minute period. Billboards. Bus wrapping. Radio. Accidents, slip and fall, wrongful termination, disability issues, product liability.

Business is good.

#34 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

The abundance of personal accident injury lawyer advertising is amazing. On the 6pm news, five different companies had commercials in a 30 minute period. Billboards. Bus wrapping. Radio. Accidents, slip and fall, wrongful termination, disability issues, product liability.
Business is good.

Oh yeah the 1-800-411-PAIN guys. Catchy tune on those radio ads.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

Several differences in grocery stores that have irked me.

Unit pricing is inconsistent and sometimes downright wrong. For example, Finish dishwasher gel caps are unit price marked as 12 cents each. Competing Cascade caps are $11 a pound. Similar differences in laundry pods. The Amore tomato paste was $3.50 for 4.5 oz, or 60 cents per oz. I would guess they left the per unit price from a sale that has expired.

At the Fresh Market, meat is priced by the pound, and by the piece. Signs appear identical. So, prime rib eye is $8 per piece, which works out to about $12 per #. But choice is $8.99 per pound. Same expression on bulk coffee, where fresh roasted bulk coffee is $9.99 per pound, or already ground and bagged for $8.99. But that's only 12 oz.

Country of origin info for fish at Publix sometimes gets pushed down into the ice. Ask, and the fish monger will pull out the sign to check. And shove it right back into the ice.

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

The Blue Door Cafe in Stuart has a movie program on Monday evenings. Their outdoor patio is turned into an open air theater, a 10 by 10 screen is pulled down from a large roller, and a digital projector materializes.  Light food, wine, beer, coffee, cakes etc are available for purchase.  Last week, the Martian was screened, yesterday had The Big Short.  Next week is the vintage Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and Eddie Albert. There's a mix of new, older, and old movies.

We've done this before, and it's quite pleasant. The program is free, but you are expected to buy something.  We had two pints of Palm, a large glass of pinot noir, and a cappuccino.  There were about 25-30 guests, on a cool evening, with temps in the 50s.

We had parked over on Seminole Street, and walked to the Cafe. Walking back at 10.30, we didn't see a single person in two blocks. Not one. Every downtown store was closed, although many restaurants are closed on Monday as a matter of course.

------------------------------------------

I was sorting through some mail at the table in the breakfast nook. For some reason I became aware of movement nearby, just outside the window. A large blue heron (think small ostrich) had walked up to see what I was doing.  The heron usually patrols the palm shrubs along the water line, looking for lizards, snail eggs, etc. It's unusual to see him (her?) up by the house.

------------------------------------------

Road rage is very in, in this area and down toward West Palm Beach.  Every few days somebody will be shot for changing lanes and affronting another driver's worth. Or, get rammed by a truck.  The police are on the lookout for a dented red truck which has apparently rammed several vehicles driven by women. I saw a guy get out of the car and go back to another motorist in a threatening manner encounter last week. Two people shouting, the conversation seemed to be along the lines of I'll stuff you in your ashtray if you ever beep at me again.

I had a guy lean on his horn and cuss me out for changing lanes across the middle lane.  I went from the right lane, through the center lane, and into the left lane, as he roared up the center lane at 90 in a 45 mph. Plenty of room by NY NJ standards, but I may have disrespected him for coming through his space.

There's also an enormous amount of weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds. I drove down to WPB last week on I-95. Was moving with traffic at about 80 (limit is 70). Two guys came up the right lane at 90-100, passed me on the right, cut into a narrow space two cars ahead of me, went around a truck in the far right lane, still doing 100, changed lanes again, moving into the left lane.  See this a lot around here.  In NJ, it usually means somebody has stolen a car and is bringing it to the fence, etc.

There are spectacular accidents, cars flipping over multiple times, sailing over road barriers, etc.

#37 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:02 PM

The Blue Door Cafe screening of Roman Holiday was very pleasant. Evening temps in the 70s, light breeze. They had a good attendance, maybe 30-35 people.  A bike mob had stopped by for drinks, so their group livened things up a bit, but they moved on before the movie began. 20 or so people, many dressed in hippie garb, travel the streets on Stuart on the first Monday of the month with many different sizes of unicycles, bicycles, tricycles, etc.

--------------------------

People are really hyper on road rage. One widely circulated report had a motorcycle and a Ford Focus driver mixing it up with 90 mph driving, wrong way driving, ripping off side mirrors, trying to force each other off the road, etc.   My own two-fer was waiting second in line to enter a traffic circle. Guy fourth or fifth back leaned on the horn. Guy third or fourth back hollered something. One guy got out of his car. Gap opened, car in front of me and me moved. Don't know if I'll see these guys on the evening news.

A few minutes later I approached a left turn across three lanes of traffic. Light turned amber, guy in front of me hesitated, then moved as the light turned red. I held, waiting for my arrow on the next cycle. Guy behind me leaned on his horn. Different guy, I think. Light changed, we both turned. I set my cruise control at the 25 mph speed and still caught up with the guy who had turned on the red cycle. Line of about 20 cars, all doing 25 mph. Guy behind me was apoplectic.

#38 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Food Truck Jamboree in Stuart last night. Ten to 12 trucks, including Bite. Thousand people, which is a big deal here.

I believe the Jamboree will be every Monday night into Summer, from 5 until 9 pm.

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

I took a tour of the Kai-Kai Farm in Indiantown FL yesterday. It's on Kanner Highway between Stuart and Lake Okeechobee, in an area characterized by large horse training facilities. The Payson Farms complex is alongside.

Kai-Kai sells at several local green markets, and has a large business providing niche greens and vegetables to chefs. They offer various kinds of mizuna, different carrots, French radishes,strawberries, many squash varieties, a half dozen different kinds of tomatoes and many more. The winter-spring catalog is a full page of items, including five different lettuces, dill, mint, basils, chervil, and many micro-greens. Although they're not organic, they're working toward that certification.

The fields abut Payson and are very near the Starlite Horse facility, but the rules no longer allow them to use barn straw / manure for most crops destined to be eaten without cooking. The rules also require them to do a once daily chemical screen of the water being used for drip irrigation.  They have relationships with various providers which allow customized worm tea enhancements for the soil and other approved treatments.

Farm Table dinners have been offered for several months, and the next one is a vegan presentation. There's an under construction covered shed which will house about 80 people and offer cooking facilities.

http://www.kaikaifarm.com/

#40 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I stopped at the local Winn-Dixie grocery earlier this week. Their self-checkout line is being eliminated. So, you have to use a cashier.

My cashier said the self-checkout was being eliminated in many stores. Too much theft. And, you don't want to confront a possibly armed thief.

I mentioned the checkout in the aisles program at Stop&Shop, and she just laughed.

#41 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Visited the Food Truck Jamboree in Memorial Park, Stuart last night. We went late, which limited what was still available. I counted nine trucks. Two Greek, three BBQ, two fish, two ice cream, and a Native American truck. Believe that's the first time I've observed that combination. The BITE truck wasn't there. There was a three piece music group playing, and there was a liquor booth set up. That surprised me. Beer, wine, Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, etc

SmokeKing - a modern 30 foot trailer with its own smoker on the rear. They were out of the brisket, so their pulled pork and brisket over french fries was off the menu. Very substantial helping of pulled pork, burnt ends, and cole slaw on a hamburger bun was $7. BBQ chicken was also sold out. "Real good night, sold most of what I brought"

Hoghead's Truck - a smaller truck, also specializing in bbq. Also out of the brisket, but they had pulled chicken and minced slaw. Chicken was very good. Wet, fragrant meat, with mahogany skin mixed in. The pit mistress told me they were out of brisket by 7pm. Hoghead and SmokeKing both sell by the sandwich and by the pound.

Many dogs on leashes, enjoying the evening and a little bit of meat. People brought beach chairs, and  few people brought tables or blankets to enjoy the choices.

Next week I'd like to try the Native American fiesta platter. Fry bread, black beans, chopped bbq chicken, etc. And maybe the fish trucks.

#42 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

Back to the Food Truck Jamboree in Stuart. Every Monday night in Memorial Park for the next few months. Got there a little earlier than last week, around 7.30pm.  Fifteen trucks. The BITE truck was there, the Hoghead truck from last week was not there.  I spoke with the Parks Department employee who oversees the project. They're very pleased with the turnout for the event. More people each succeeding Monday, enjoying the music, the food, and the evening out.

Chicken and Waffles truck. Exactly what it sounds like, about eight oz / four big pieces of chicken fingers, served over a six inch diameter waffle. The chef explained that he brines the pieces in buttermilk for 24 hours, dries and dusts them in flour. Deep fries them at 160 degrees for just a few minutes.  These were great, although I had my doubts about 24 hours of buttermilk.

The waffles were superb. "Liege-style" I was told, dusted with crystals of sugar for added crunch. $10 for a nice helping.

Meatball Joe's  truck.  Another truth in advertising. All they sell is meatballs. Half pound beef-pork-veal meatball wrapping shredded fontina cheese. A little smaller than a tennis ball. Served with a very flavorful pommodoro fresco. Basil, oregano, garlic in the sauce. Dee was quite impressed. Also $10.  Joe told me one health department inspector said this was one of the cleanest trucks he has ever seen.  Big interior, looked very clean to me.

-----------------------

I spoke with Mike, one of the owners of BITE. The truck and the restaurant. He said he hopes to have the lease executed for his new restaurant in the next few days, with a June 1 opening. The space is already built out, he said.  It will be down by the Fresh Market, on East Ocean Boulevard.  Lunch and dinner, with enough space to do a broader menu, and host guest chefs, farm to table events, etc.

#43 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:34 AM

BITE didn't get the space down on East Ocean Blvd. They're looking for restaurant space again.

Went looking for the blue green algae slime being sent down into our river and lagoon from Lake Okeechobee. Didn't see any although there was a green scum on some beaches.

Spoke with the fish monger at Tauscha's Market. She said the slime is clobbering some local fisherpeople, forcing them to go way off shore. I bought and cooked a superb piece of yellowfin tuna over charcoal tonight. Support your local dealer and all that.

#44 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Not being a cook myself, I don't see why you wouldn't consider this situation a plus, as you now can make a one pan meal & not have to buy/make separate greens.

This space available… contact owner.

#45 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

The annual holiday season nonsense has descended on south Florida, or at least this little corner of it. Decorating Palm trees with Christmas lights, Santa in flip flops etc. Salvation Army kettle ringers have taken up stations in key locations.

The Holiday boat parades are a treat, too. Dozens of boats, lighting up the mast, etc parade in various parts of the lagoon, Indian River, etc. The Stuart boat parade runs from Palm City, past the railroad bridge in Stuart, out into the lagoon, and over to Port Salerno. Passes several of my favorite watering holes along the way.

Vero Beach has a similar boat parade.

http://www.tcpalm.co...d-sea/93665930/