85 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

It seems like everything's closing earlier and earlier.

Yopparai used to be open until midnight - now it's 11pm.  Not realizing this, I made a reservation on Opentable the other night - they showed availability at 10:30, 10:45, and 11:00.  I almost selected 10:45, but went for 10:30.  When we got there, we were warned that the last call for food was 10:45.  What would have happened if I selected the 10:45 (or, god forbid, the 11pm) rez?

Then there was Bruno Pizza, who originally advertised that they were open until midnight (and cut me off from ordering a dessert at 11:30), but now won't commit to a closing time.

Santina's website says that they're open until midnight seven days a week.  I went there on a Tuesday night around 10 and was told I was the last person they were willing to seat for the night.

Russian Samovar's website says they're open until 3am every night, yet when Sneak and I showed up around midnight after a show, they were closed.  Your dining options in that neighborhood after a late show are pretty much limited to Landmark and Blue Ribbon Sushi.

Rich tells us he couldn't even find anywhere to get a drink after a show at Radio City.

I'm a little nervous about my 9:30 reservation at Il Buco tonight, although their website says they're open until 10:30.

In a city where we all work long and late hours, and regularly take in the nightlife during the week, this is getting ridiculous.

Man about town.

#2 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:46 PM

One of the main stories in NYC real estate the last few years have been families staying in NYC rather than moving to the suburbs once kids enter the picture.

I don't think the two are unrelated.

#3 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:00 AM

The suburbanization of NYC. These are the same people Wilfrid talks about in The War on Fun.

Man about town.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:03 AM

Great NY Noodletown is open till 4 AM. Well, probably only 3.

First world probs.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

Well, this is the first word.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

True. Veselka's open all night.

#7 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

And Sake Bar Hagi and Sushi Seki until 2-3am

#8 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:08 AM

l'm too l̶a̶z̶y̶ knackered to trawl restaurant sites or Yelp right now, but I wonder how late places stay open in Brooklyn these days.  Are there many restaurants in, say, Williamsburg or Bushwick whose kitchens continue to send out dishes after midnight?  My impression is no.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

Not really. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:46 AM

Not really.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

One of the main stories in NYC real estate the last few years have been families staying in NYC rather than moving to the suburbs once kids enter the picture.

I don't think the two are unrelated.

I'm not really seeing that in the data. Maybe this is a change compared to several decades ago, but for the past 15 years the patterns have not changed by that much. Must be something else going on. Also, note how rapid the change is - I think the peak time during weekdays has shifted a solid one hour earlier over the past 8 years. (and I was recently amazed that when Dave was selling tickets for his popup at D&H, the first ones to sell were during the early bird special hours)

#12 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

I wonder if everyone realizes how hard people in restaurants work?  Maybe it's nice for them to get home around midnight? Or on a Sunday around 10.

As far as closing earlier, well if the business doesn't support staying open late, then it's the proper business decision. I mean, Sneakeater and LNY dining alone, with a friend,  or together, don't really pay the bills.

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,103 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

1. It'd be even nicer for them to get home around 7pm, so what?

2. Sure, but what happened to the business? 

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,529 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

We closed the kitchen last night at 1145 and our kitchen on weekends is closed at 1 am. But that's because we are a bar
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

1. It'd be even nicer for them to get home around 7pm, so what?

2. Sure, but what happened to the business? 

Maybe they should start working at 7 PM? Sounds like a viable business model here.

I guess the 3 or 4 or so people who want to eat at 11 are SOL - so what?