22451 replies to this topic

#22426 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

Lovely spouse is doing well with her ankle replacement, so far. And though she's not the biggest fan of Chinese food, and though the Hospital for Special Surgery's food is not the worst, she loves me enough to let me order from a nearby Szechuan place, Hui Restaurant and Bar, from which she enjoys steamed dumplings and I enjoy the spicy fleshier dishes.

My favorite hospital! (they recently did my lower back). Fortunately, I was only in over night, but you're right - for hospital food, I was a little surprised.

Best part of it was my hook up to the PCA - every 10 minutes!

#22427 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:50 PM

Sign in diner: in dog beers, I've only had one.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#22428 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

The M14D being converted to an SBS.  At long last.  Riders have been boarding through every door for some time, ignoring the driver, because it's often the only way to get on. Overcrowded, slow, fractious.  Can only get worse as more people use it as a substitute for the L. 

Also, there's a plan to restrict car access to 14th Street, allowing only for drop offs and pick ups.  How that will work I can't imagine, but then I'm not a driver.

#22429 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Doing the same thing to the 14A.

#22430 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:01 PM

SBS is great. It would be greater if we could get separated bus lanes and traffic light priority, but lets not get greedy.  Its not like NYC isn't very car centric...

(I've come to the conclusion we should just close Park and Broadway to car traffic.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#22431 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

I'm against it, not because I'll be terribly inconvenienced, but because there are a lot of not-very-mobile people who make use of all the local stops. 

#22432 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

I'm against it, not because I'll be terribly inconvenienced, but because there are a lot of not-very-mobile people who make use of all the local stops. 

I somewhat agree with this, but...

#22433 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Against all types of vehicles anywhere. We have the technology to be beamed wherever we need/want to go.

#22434 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:33 PM

Are they actually eliminating stops? the 23 is SBS and makes all the stops, its just proof of payment rather than pay as you enter.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#22435 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

Are they actually eliminating stops? the 23 is SBS and makes all the stops, its just proof of payment rather than pay as you enter.

Yes, about half of the stops between Grand/FDR & Delancey/Essex are on the chopping block. 

https://new.mta.info...nization/M14SBS

#22436 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

Remember, numbnuts 1&2 are running this whole operation.

#22437 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Remember, numbnuts 1&2 are running this whole operation.

Nope - the mayor has very little to do with it, if that's one of the people you're referring to.

#22438 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

SBS as Bonner says is not necessarily express.  I use the M23 and M79 a lot, both SBS, and they do indeed make all stops (at least that I was previously aware of).

The proposed stop removals I see on the M14D route are entirely defensible.  The Avenue D stops are comically close together, as are those two stops by Fifth Avenue; I don't know the bottom part of the M14A route quite as well.

The massive inconveniences associated with the current service are in desperate need of amelioration.

#22439 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:35 PM

Right - the crosstown SBS stops at every stop that the standard bus stopped at.

The stops allegedly being eliminated along Grand St. are somewhat important to the (especially aging) local population below Delancey.

But I can hop on an SBS to go up 1st Avenue at Allen and Grand, and get up into the 60s and 70s pretty damn quickly. 

#22440 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:47 PM

I hope the move is based on research. Eliminating those stops will make a negligible difference to travel time, so maybe there’s another reason.