22461 replies to this topic

#31 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:06 AM

A perfect day - the best of the year so far and probably of the year to come as well. Sunshine, warm, leaves coming out, blossom everywhere, barely a breeze, and, par hazard, I'm at home. Bliss.

v

It is a perfect day in Paris too. :) Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#32 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

Just been to see how our new offices are coming along. The answer is very nicely thank you!

Overlooking Regent's Canal by Shepherdess Walk.

can't wait to move from my current flop house of an office to these new ones

S

#33 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:25 AM

A pale grey sky that's soft. Even the facades of buildings seem muted. The vigor of cold water. Georg Jensen silver dangly earrings that have oxidized and look more interesting than when acquired. :blink:

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:10 PM

The vigor of struggling to breathe through congested lungs. A tissue now used, which looks more interesting than when acquired. Oops, wrong thread. :angry:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 stellabella

stellabella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

belly-dancing!!

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

Stellybelly.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 GavinJones

GavinJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

I believe Stellabelly is an anatomical condition occasioned by the over-consumption of continental lager.

#38 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:34 PM

Can you provide a definition of menage artois. Thank you in advance (right thread? not sure... :unsure: )
Elect-a-lujah

#39 StephenT

StephenT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:10 AM

Can you provide a definition of menage artois. Thank you in advance (right thread? not sure... :unsure: )

Menage Artois is what results in Stellybelly of course.

#40 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

I've been participating in a seminar on post World War II New York City history. All of the other members are academics, either grad students working on their dissertations or profs writing something for publication. The discussions have exposed me to a use of language that I find hilarious. For example, last night's paper, presented by an earnest Ph.D. candidate, was a draft chapter of her dissertation about the cultural history of the Bowery (NYC's traditional skid row) during the period 1930-1980. She described it as a gendered space populated by male people.

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

Oh Lippy, I'd really like to get my hands on that Bowery paper. Could you help?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#42 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:07 PM

At the end of the seminar, it is possible that all the papers will be made available in some form, at least on-line. The paper itself was fine; it was the discussion that was funny. All academic fields, and professional endeavors, too, have esoteric vocabulary and impenetrable locutions that are amusing to those outside that field. I'm just getting a big dose of it this year.

#43 Shermar

Shermar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:19 PM

A confession:

I LOVE the dancing man in the Six Flags/GreatAdventure commercials. At first I resisted, but now its to the point where I dance along with him several times a day. We just spent a week in San Francisco and he was all over the television there as well(Six Flags in Santa Clara). HE makes me happy. I have no wish to go to Six Flags. I just want to dance with HIM.

There, I said it. I don't care who knows it.

Confesion is good for the soul... :D :lol: :P B)
Kitchen Kutie

FEED YOUR HEAD!

#44 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

Kiku bubbling under here :rolleyes:

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:33 PM

Oh, I suppose he's welcome, then...

OK, he's in.
Elect-a-lujah