#33 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

what wine should I order at contra?

When I was just there the pairing was quite good. Souhaut magnums, mattassa, etc. so it's not a bad option given the food.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#34 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,337 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

And they're pretty good at helping if you don't want the pairing.

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hmmmm.  I don't see a list posted on their website, so I can only give the general advice that pairings are often necessary with long tasting menus (because it's hard to find things that'll match all the dishes) and that in the past I've found Contra's wine staff to be excellent.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'd like to post the wine pairings I had at Atera in December and at Trois Mec in Los Angeles last week and have you lot give your opinions. I'll try to remember to bring in the menus tomorrow. The one at Atera in particular as that one was the "reserve" pairing.

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

This will be interesting.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

the wine pairing at contra was nice, thanks for the help.

#39 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

This will be interesting.

The lack of age on both was a little disappointing...especially for the price of the one at Atera but...well, we'll see!

#40 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Unsurprisingly, I forgot to bring the menus to the office today as I...overindulged....last night.

But I have a menu form a July 3rd dinner at EMP at which I had what I think they referred to as the "Old World" paring. My ladyfriend had the other pairing they were offering which was less expensive and I think "new world" or at the very least, not their reserve. Will verify prices over the weekend and update the post. Will also post the pairings from Atera and Trois Mec soon.

• With the "snacks": Krug, Grand Cuvee Brut, Champagne, France
  • Foie Gras: Lucien Crochet, Vendange Du 10 Octobre, Sancerre, France 2006
  • Lobster: Samuel Billaud, Les Fourneaux, Premier Cru, Chablis, Burgundy, France 2014 (This was FABULOUS)
  • Asparagus: Domaine De Prion, Vielles Vignes, Fleurie, Beaujolais, France, 2011
  • Beef: Chateau Cherubin, Saint Emilion, Grand Cru, Bordeaux, France 2006 
  • Cheese: Paul Blanck, Pinot Gris, Patergarten, Alsace, France, 2011
  • Baked Alaska: Weinlaubenhof Kracher, Zweigelt, Beerenauslese, Burgenland, Austria, 2012

Again...I will try to parse out the price for this pairing and ask my ladyfriend what they were calling it. 

#41 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

Unsurprisingly, I forgot to bring the menus to the office today as I...overindulged....last night.

But I have a menu form a July 3rd dinner at EMP at which I had what I think they referred to as the "Old World" paring. My ladyfriend had the other pairing they were offering which was less expensive and I think "new world" or at the very least, not their reserve. Will verify prices over the weekend and update the post. Will also post the pairings from Atera and Trois Mec soon.

• Lobster: Samuel Billaud, Les Fourneaux, Premier Cru, Chablis, Burgundy, France 2014 (This was FABULOUS)
  • Asparagus: Domaine De Prion, Vielles Vignes, Fleurie, Beaujolais, France, 2011
  • Baked Alaska: Weinlaubenhof Kracher, Zweigelt, Beerenauslese, Burgenland, Austria, 2012

Again...I will try to parse out the price for this pairing and ask my ladyfriend what they were calling it. 

Disagree with two pairings, four were very nice, one was so-so.

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,770 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Am I right that the two you disagree with are the Sancerre and the Beaujolais?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Disagree with two pairings, four were very nice, one was so-so.

Should it make any difference the foie was seared and served with sorrel and fava beans. 

The asparagus with porato and black truffle.

#44 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

Sancerre and the Bordeaux. The Sancerre was just plain wrong and the 06 Bordeaux from St. Emilion is just not a good wine (at least all the ones I've tasted). Sounds like they're trying to get rid of a bad vintage.

Don't have a problem with the Beaujolais - Asparagus is a difficult match, so why not?

The so-so was the Beerenauslese - too much sweet upon sweet (baked Alaska). Would have gone with a Late Harvest Zin, preferably from Ridge where they constrain the sweetness.

#45 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

They could have served the foie with Kale and Sancerre would still have been wrong.