31 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

Three and a half stars from Teresa Politano in the Star-Ledger / NJ.com.  L&S went into the former Culinariane space on the east end of Walnut Street in Montclair.  BYO

Crab cake ($16) is indulgent, buttery and crisp. And although its side of Granny-Smith slaw was tired, the frothy tartar sauce was terrific.

Braised short ribs ($16/$32) are no warm-and-fuzzy, gather-round-the hearth Jersey interpretation. Here they're jazzed with pomegranate and molasses; everything is rolled together in preparation and then spread open on the plate. The short ribs are served with a generous swoosh of perfect sweet potatoes and kimchee. Heartwarming, but also with real flair.

Airline chicken breast ($26), stuffed with chicken sausage, is milky, sweet and delightful. (Airline chicken is so named because the first joint of the wing is still attached. Which means the bone-in. Which means chicken that's more juicy and flavorful.)

http://www.nj.com/di...ml#incart_river

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thank God.  I thought it was going to mean the kind of chicken breast served by airlines.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Thank God.  I thought it was going to mean the kind of chicken breast served by airlines.

More comfortable seats, though...

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

Excellent from Scott Veale in the regional NY Times. That's their top ranking

#5 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:37 AM

I know Montclair is a 'foodie destination' in northern NJ but, to be honest, I cannot be bothered. The parking is atrocious. When I worked in West Orange I did venture I to town from time to time but my mind wasn't blown. Living in Morris Township, I can't even take a train there easily.
Sorry for veering off topic. It I just don't get the appeal of the town. Maybe because it's pretty similar to the one I live in?

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

I think Montclair gets a considerable benefit from having much of the NY Times staff living in town. And, a lot of media, arts, Broadway etc people.

#7 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

Makes sense.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

Laurel & Sage is in the original Culinariane space, at the far east end of Walnut Street. Way off the beaten path, which makes a very good situation for parking.

Spring menu

http://www.laurelandsage.com/menu/

L&S is doing another wine dinner with Amanti Vino. The last one featured wines of Luca Roagna, the next one has wines from Azienda Agricola Paitin, the noted Nebbiolo house.

http://www.laureland...com/new-events/

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:24 AM

Did you go to the Roagna dinner, Paul?  If so, isn't Luca like the greatest guy ever (aside from making fantastically good wines)?

ETA -- OF COURSE you didn't.  You were at the other end of the coast.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

I have some Roagna wines, but I didn't get to the dinner.  Sharon at Amanti Vino gets an allocation, she's been a champion for a while. Since before Roagna was famous, which is a good position to be in.

The Amanti Vino wine dinners tend to be very good.  Generous pouring, lots of good discussion, and many references to "up and coming" wine makers the presenter follows.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

I couldn't imagine Amanti Vino being associated with anything bad.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

My wife and I had another outstanding dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night. Chef Shawn has recently switched over to his Fall menu, so unfortunately the Soft Shell Crab was no longer being offered on the menu. However, there were a lot of other outstanding dishes. We started off with a couple of delicious Amuse Bouche of Butternut Squash soup and an amazing Peach Gazpacho with little crunchy tortilla strips. He used pureed Jersey peaches to replace the tomatoes that are normally used in Gazpacho and it was incredible. It was nice & thick, almost like a peach salsa. I told him that he should add this dish to his regular summer menu next year. We also had the incredibly fresh out of the oven popovers stuffed with gruyere cheese and some butter drizzled with honey. For appetizers we shared delectable cast iron seared diver scallops with kabocha squash gnocchi & a delicious chestnut crema. The scallops were perfectly seared. After reading a lot of positive reviews we decided to try the green curry PEI mussels with kefir, thin crispy slices of granny smith apple, coconut milk, & chablis. It was very good. I could take a bath in that green curry sauce :) We also had the melt in your mouth pomegranate molasses braised short rib with sweet potato puree and homemade kimchi. It was sublime. The scallops & short ribs can also be ordered in entree portions. For entrees I had the excellent blackened swordfish with an addictive sweet potato crabmeat hash & barbeque buerre blanc. The swordfish was thick and black & crunchy on the outside while moist and flaky on the inside. My wife had the stuffed chicken breast stuffed with homemade chicken sausage, mushroom faro pilaf, in a whole grain mustard natural jus. We normally don't order chicken out but this chicken has such an outstanding flavor combination. For dessert we had the addictive espresso coffee bean ice cream with crunchy espresso beans.

Below is a link to their Fall menu.

http://www.laurelandsage.com/menu/

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#13 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

My wife & I had another outstanding dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night. Chef Shawn had a couple of excellent specials that weren't on the regular menu. He had a huge 4 ounce Foie Gras steak appetizer over pear, lingonberry sauce, on top of cinnamon raisin toast. It was delicious, but so rich I could have had it as a main course. For dinner Shawn had another excellent special of Squid Ink Linguine with Lobster, Shrimp. Scallops, Mussels, & Calamari in a delicious turmeric & saffron sauce.

#14 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

My wife & I had another outstanding dinner at Laurel & Sage Saturday night. Chef Shawn had a couple of excellent specials that weren't on the regular menu. He had a huge 4 ounce Foie Gras steak appetizer over pear, lingonberry sauce, on top of cinnamon raisin toast. It was delicious, but so rich I could have had it as a main course. For dinner Shawn had another excellent special of Squid Ink Linguine with Lobster, Shrimp. Scallops, Mussels, & Calamari in a delicious turmeric & saffron sauce.

Oh yeah, I am absolutely into that...I am hoping this is available when I go...thank you for the heads up.

#15 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

Oh yeah, I am absolutely into that...I am hoping this is available when I go...thank you for the heads up.

My pleasure, E.L.A. I think that Shawn should at least have it available for the next few weeks. He recently debuted it on his menu & it has been a big hit. Below is a picture of the dish from the Laurel & Sage Facebook page.

viSbMRQh.jpg