10 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm looking for a delicious one night away from Paris, someplace involving a TGV ride + Avis, dinner and overnight.    Am considering La Grenouillère, In De Wulf, Le Jardin de Plumes, but none really sing to me.    Any ideas for a somewhat posh but not over-the-top dinner and bed?    I do not want an interminable tasting menu but rather a somewhat shorter menu and not killer amounts of food...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#2 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

It is mind boggling how many RAVE reviews I have heard about Maison Lameloise ... and from folks who are most discerning.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#3 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, Peter.    We are looking for something more, how do you say it, cutting edge, off beat.   Besides the ones I mentioned, something like La Mare aux Oiseaux perhaps.   Someone who has almost but not quite arrived, a work in progress so to speak.   ;)

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

Although the restaurant has lowered its ambitions, this might be worth looking in on.  https://www.relaisch...eloir-des-ondes

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Good call.    We have stayed several times at Les Rimains, his magical guesthouse and were lucky to enjoy the main restaurant before it closed but not tried Le Coquillage.   This is the right direction, but one couldn't call Roellinger someone who hadn't quite arrived. :D

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,898 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Right, he simply decided to abandon the 3 star game.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#7 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

I'm kicking myself around the block for never having made it to In De Wulf, and now Chambo brings to our attention that it's closing (December).   I've never hyped it enough to cause husband to yell "Go for it!"     We've two more shots at it this year.

My question: to those who have dined and stayed here, would you strongly recommend it?     http://www.indewulf.be/

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

I had his food in New York once (guest chef gig) and it seemed pretty good to me.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

I would not, based on one dinner at In De Wulf in December. It might be a lot better during the summer months. The guest room we stayed in was super, though, as was breakfast.

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

I would not, based on one dinner at In De Wulf in December. It might be a lot better during the summer months. The guest room we stayed in was super, though, as was breakfast.

Interestingly we have rather often had the same experience at this level restaurant-with-rooms: loved the lavish breakfast delivered to our equally sumptuous room but found ourselves looking for "something more exciting" during dinner.  

Maybe I should just stick with the premonitions that have held me back up til now.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

If you haven't already been to Michel Bras, that's a restaurant-with-rooms where both the room and the dinner met my expectations.