#31 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

Can you post a link to the Picasa URL?

It's a Google URL now - Picasa was absorbed.

https://photos.googl...wSPTfodc0MFy0ZF

#32 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

I got a 404 when I clicked on the link. :(

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#33 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Me too (404). I want to see some hi-res prawn action!

#34 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:42 AM

Bam. Finally. Imgur, direct link (rather than share link).

2fGEs7V.jpg

#35 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Bam. Finally. Imgur, direct link (rather than share link).

2fGEs7V.jpg

You call that big?  I'll show you big.

25920396824_360e851ee6_o.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#36 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Large-format shrimp. So hip, so now, so of the moment.

#37 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

Is that shrimp for two?

#38 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Is that shrimp for two?

Two hearty appetites.

25922620264_e4378a2aae_o.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:35 AM

Whatever happened to a bucket o'shrimp?

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,325 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Some nudges here in the direction of the mean.

The anticucho selections no longer include beefheart (which is, of course, the standard). The lomo saltado (which is no longer called lomo saltado but rather "stir-fried wagyu beef" -- but maybe it always was?) no longer has french fries stirred in.

I still really like the food (and cocktails!) (and wine list!) here.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Had a meal there last night and was completely and utterly underwhelmed.  Like seriously underwhelmed..  Being someone who works in Elizabeth NJ, I have had the opportunity to eat at several Peruvian Places.. So, when the opportunity arose to try one with serious critical success, i was very excited.  

In just didn't add up.. The room was beautiful, the staff was nice, the food was forgettable and expensive.  We ordered the Quinoa, the ceviche, the lomo saltado and all of the anticucho..  

The anticucho arrived first and I was moderately excited.. I really enjoyed 2 out of the 5 but would have happily eaten any of them.. I was starving mind you and fairly receptive to eating anything at that point.  The beef heart and octopus stood out to me.. I think Alicia and I were in agreement. 

But, truly this is where I was lost.. The quinoa was just like toasted quinoa with some yogurt or some creme friache type cream and a couple of other things.. it was just eh.. I have passed this salad up many times at the American Express Lounge in airports.. 

NexT up was the ceviche.. As far as ceviche's go, it was rather tame. I didn't like the addition of dried banana or plantains.  I normally like a little cream and some toasted corn or something else to add crunch.. I mean, it had lime juice and huacatay herb which has a slight mint to it but, really, it was boring or at least extremely traditional..  I can walk to El Tiburon from my office in Elizabeth and get much more exciting ceviche.

Lomo Saltado, or as the describe it for us gringos at Llama. Beef tenderloin stir fry..  This really shows the Peruvian and Chinese Love..  It's one of the national dishes of Peru and just about any Peruvian Restaurant serves this.. What struck me (outside of the 56 dollar price tag) was how good the tenderloin was.. It was fantastic.  Great quality.. They also served these amazing little pancakes to wrap up the fries and tenderloin.. The only problem, 56 bucks gave you exactly 6 bite size pieces of steak..  So, essentially, you are left with a plate of rice and fries with soy sauce and peppers.. It was rather insulting almost..  Fries not as good or cooked as well as 90 percent of the other places I have been to.. I noticed that fries are a big deal in Peruvian places.. These I believe were just a once fry.. Maybe served purposely undercooked and slightly soggy to soak up the sauce at the bottom of the Peruvian Fajitas. I have no idea the motivation

29022388275_ae36128f30_z.jpg

What can I say, i didn't hate the place, I also didn't really enjoy it either.. If i hadn't heard about it and just went there, it would have reminded me a more formal version of the Peruvian places I go to for lunch and most likely would not have returned as I kind of like the informal places I go to.  I also feel like with the limited menu,we had ordered everything that looked interesting. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#42 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Well, Peru did invent the potato.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#43 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

I found the saltado steak portion skimpy as well, Daniel. I would have told you to go with the smoked chicken. IMO the only thing worth going there for, and a non-crappy "updating" of a traditional Peruvian recipe.

#44 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Oh that's wrong. You can't be charging $56 for a plate of garnished potatoes (whatever Adrian says).

#45 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

29022388275_ae36128f30_z.jpg

Because we like beating dead horses.  

This is a photo of the dish when they were charging 48 dollars. It appears they have meat in their dish

28464972184_f61fa2bb58_z.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Peruvian, Williamsburg, Brooklyn