No replies to this topic

#1 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:31 AM

1st Av & 7th.  This place is already difficult to get into.  Went by myself tonight and there were no tables open - only space was at the (four seat) bar, right in front of the door.  Good thing it wasn't too cold tonight.

So what is dry pot?  You order a bunch of stuff off the menu and they throw it all together in a wok (or whatever) and cook it.  Brilliant.  They recommend eight to ten items for one person.  Most stuff is around $3-$5.  I also ordered the scallion pancake and Chinese pickles.

The scallion pancake is worth ordering.  It's light and flaky, and comes with a hoisin-based sauce on the side.  Very tasty.  The Chinese pickles were a little bowl of pickled vedge - mostly cabbage and carrots.  They were ok.

The dry pot comes out in a big wooden bowl.  You get to choose the spice level.  I chose the highest, "super spicy".  I have a pretty good tolerance for spice.  I thought this was just right.  It was assertively spicy, but bearable.  Sichuan peppercorns were definitely a presence, but not enough to numb your mouth like novocaine.  Similar to the photos we've seen of "authentic" Sichuan cuisine, there was a big oil slick at the bottom of the bowl.  The bowl was tasty, but expectedly became monotonous about halfway in.

$56 before tip.  No alcohol yet.  You probably need a reservation to get in during peak hours, unless you can grab a seat at the bar.

Man about town.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: East Village, Dry Pot