203 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:32 AM

Rams (Lambs?).  Possible Chargers.  Wow!  This is bigger than Romo winning a playoff game.

http://laist.com/2016/01/12/ram_it.php

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

Serious question.

LA didn't support the Rams the first time around. They didn't support the Raiders in their 12 year tryout. Can LA support *two* NFL teams? I strongly doubt it.

This is a real estate / construction scam.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:33 AM

No, LA DID support the Rams.  It was when Georgia's first husband decided to move them to Anaheim (to play in the Big A, which was really not suited for football) that support decreased.  Even so, there was support and she (after her husband's odd death and her new marriage to a band leader and weirdness with the Rosenbloom sons) decided to move them to St.Louis.

And, as for real estate/construction scams, hello, Jerry Jones, pretty successful real estate/construction scam.

As for support, see points #3 and #7, and admit your mistake.  http://losangelesram...bout/myths.html

Then that happened.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

You didn't explain why the Raiders left.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

Because Al Davis was a greedy lunatic.

Then that happened.

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Unlike other NFL owners.

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Unlike other NFL owners.

He was a self-made greedy lunatic unlike others who were well born.

Then that happened.

#8 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Unlike other NFL owners.

He was a self-made greedy lunatic unlike others who were well born.

No.

Steve Bisciotti (Ravens) grew up working class and made his money in the staffing business.

Arthur Blank (Falcons) co-founded Home Depot.

Bob McNair (Texans) grew up in rural North Carolina and made his money in the energy business.

Alex Spanos (Chargers) was the son of Greek immigrants. His father owned a bakery.

Paul Allen (Seahawks) co-founded Microsoft.

Tom Benson (Saints) worked as a car saleman after graduating college. He eventually bought some dealerships and then some banks.

There are probably more self made men among NFL owners but I'm tired of typing.

#9 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Oy.

Didn't Oakland offer Al a lot of stuff to move back?

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#10 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

Steve Bisciotti (Ravens) grew up working class and made his money in the staffing business.

Arthur Blank (Falcons) co-founded Home Depot.

Bob McNair (Texans) grew up in rural North Carolina and made his money in the energy business.

Alex Spanos (Chargers) was the sone of Greek immigrants. His father owned a bakery.

Paul Allen (Seahawks) co-founded Microsoft.

Tom Benson (Saints) worked as a car saleman after graduating college. He eventually bought some dealerships and then some banks.

There are probably more self made men among NFL owners but I'm tired of typing.

And Jeffrey Lurie produced V.I. Warshawski. :D

Man about town.

#11 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

Chip Kelly to the 49ers. Good luck with that Joe.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#12 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Kelly's going to want to install his system. In effect he's blowing up the offense and starting over. Sure. That will work out great.

They should have listened to John Madden.

Re Harbaugh in SF.  For those of you not following this bizarre story, last week we learned that the SF 49ers shopped Harbaugh to the Cleveland Browns for draft choices but the deal fell through.  It seems that the 49ers GM, Trent Baalke, finds it difficult to work with him.  Evidently it's stressful to get to 3 championship games in a row.  (They lost to the Giants by a field goal in OT in 2011 and this year to Seattle in a poorly officiated game they should have won.  Oh yeah - they also won an NFC championship and went to a Superbowl.)

Someone asked John Madden about this.

Former NFL coach and broadcaster John Madden thinks if the day comes when the San Francisco 49ers have to choose between coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke, the owner should dump Baalke.

“Jim Harbaugh has done a great job of coaching in the NFL no matter how you put it,” John Madden told the KCBS Radio morning crew. “Getting to three championship games in a row with that group or with any group is a heck of a thing that he’s done.”

Harbaugh’s contract expires at the end of the 2015 season.

“You tell me where they’re going to get a guy that’s any better than him?” John asked. “It’s a lot easier to get a suit than it is to get a coach.”

Amen.  Jerry Jones ran Bill Parcells out of town.  How did that work out?

And then we have the San Diego Chargers.  The GM, A.J. Smith, couldn't stand the coach, Marty Schottenheimer.  In 2006 the Chargers went 14-2 and lost in the playoffs to the Patriots.  Smith saw his chance and got rid of Schottenheimer (lifetime W/L 203-127) and replaced him with the pliable Norv Turner (lifetime W/L 114-122).

You'll never guess what happened.  Norv and his buddy A.J. hung around for 6 more years.  Two weren't bad.  The other 4 were mediocre.  8-8, 9-7, 8-8, and 7-9.  And this is with the very good Philip Rivers as QB.  (A.J had cleverly let Drew Brees move on to New Orleans.)  A.J. and Norv, joined at the hip, were shown the door at the end of 2012.  Mike McCoy took over as coach and Rivers had a career year.

These people never learn.

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

Can't you leave Jerry out of it?  

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

Just you wait.  He's going to sign Johnny Manziel.  That will fix everything.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Kelly's going to want to install his system. In effect he's blowing up the offense and starting over. Sure. That will work out great.

How much worse can it work out than last year's offense under a defensive coordinator?

I look forward to seeing them come up to the line and run a play quickly. Let Colin run util he gets his clock clocked.