203 replies to this topic

#16 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,527 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Kelly's problem in Philly seemed to be that he took over one team, but wanted to field another.  I would think a head coach coming in wants to build a team around the existing players -- at least the core.  Kelly jettisoned all of Philly's best players and brought in a mediocre quarterback.  (although Bradford did well).  And a top running back -- who Kelly used sparingly.  

I wonder if Kelly got Lurie's pre-approval before he gut the team?  But if you'e going to come in and say, "I'm a genius, just watch my magic," you better make the lady disappear.  

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#17 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

The problem in San Francisco is that the ownership is dysfunctional.  They ran Harbaugh, a first rate coach, out of town.  Strike one.

Then they replaced him with Tomsula and fired him after a single year.  Strike two.

I can imagine how Kelly's interview went.  "Don't worry Chip.  If the team goes through a bad patch we've got your back."

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#18 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

The problem in San Francisco is that the ownership is dysfunctional.  They ran Harbaugh, a first rate coach, out of town.  Strike one.

Then they replaced him with Tomsula and fired him after a single year.  Strike two.

I can imagine how Kelly's interview went.  "Don't worry Chip.  If the team goes through a bad patch we've got your back."

Let's not forget the general manager, either.

I miss the Eddie D/Carmen Policy days.  

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Right.  Plenty of blame to go around.  He was shopping Harbaugh right after he took the team to the NFC conference game.  Idiot.

So Harbaugh appears to be a prima donna.  Big deal.  He wins.

Kelly showed some promise in Philadelphia with 2 ten win seasons.  I'm not sure what happened last year - whether the problem was that NFL defenses figured out how to stop his offense or whether the players just didn't execute.  I do know that with that ownership and front office in SF behind him if I was him I wouldn't go buying a house in the Bay Area.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#20 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

Last night I watched the Four Falls of Buffalo on Netflix.  It's one of those 30 for 30 films made by ESPN.  This one is about those outstanding Buffalo Bills teams from the 1990s.  They made 4 straight Superbowls and lost them all.  But what great teams.  Jim Kelly.  Thurman Thomas.  Andre Reed.  Bruce Smith.  There were a total of 7 Hall of Famers on those teams.

They're all interviewed extensively in the film and show all the emotions you'd expect.  Pride and regret in equal measures.  And gratitude to the city of Buffalo which embraced them through it all.

You should watch this movie.

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

I do know that with that ownership and front office in SF behind him if I was him I wouldn't go buying a house in the Bay Area.

Maybe a house is included in the deal!

#22 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Last night I watched the Four Falls of Buffalo on Netflix.  It's one of those 30 for 30 films made by ESPN.  This one is about those outstanding Buffalo Bills teams from the 1990s.  They made 4 straight Superbowls and lost them all.  But what great teams.  Jim Kelly.  Thurman Thomas.  Andre Reed.  Bruce Smith.  There were a total of 7 Hall of Famers on those teams.

They're all interviewed extensively in the film and show all the emotions you'd expect.  Pride and regret in equal measures.  And gratitude to the city of Buffalo which embraced them through it all.

You should watch this movie.

I remember that era well.

#23 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

I was wondering how the city treated Scott Norwood after he missed that field goal.  It was really remarkable.  The day after the Bills got back to Buffalo there was a huge rally outside city hall.  The team was on a balcony waving to the crowd.  At one point the crowd began to call out Norwood's name and when he came forward they gave him a huge ovation.  You can see Marv Levy in the background tearing up.  Quite a moment.

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,423 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

Monetary issues of the Rams coming to LA (Inglewood) explored.  http://www.kcrw.com/...ut-who-will-pay

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#25 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

I'll never learn to not go to sleep when there are still a few minutes left in a game.

#26 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Crazy game. I still think the overtime rule is unfair.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#27 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

Me too. And what was with the coin toss?

#28 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Every now and then I like to relive the glory days.  31 years ago today...

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Marino's only Superbowl appearance, a loss.  

#30 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

Marino's only Superbowl appearance, a loss.  

He got crushed a few times.  Here's a perfectly legal hit...

49ers2.jpg?itok=ghxTZ7Ix