9 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

The Times reports on an evidently growing trend, happy hour without the booze.

Besides practically everyone quoted in the article having a job that I've never heard of, I think I'd have to sneak a half-pint into one of these "happy hours."  To whit:

On a recent rainy afternoon over veggie burgers at NeueHouse, the co-working space in the Flatiron district, three Vedic meditators were discussing drink options for a new kind of happy hour they were organizing.

“Tonight would be a good night for tea,” Katia Tallarico, 33, a lanky psychotherapist from Williamsburg, Brooklyn, said to Light Watkins, 42, an organizer from Los Angeles typically partial to a hot lemon-ginger elixir.

“It’s O.K., we have a really great water, from Australia,” said Andrea Praet, 34, a trend strategist from Greenpoint, who also runs an urban retreat series, with Ms. Tallarico, called the Uplift Project.

Though there are a few here who might enjoy the clientele (YMMV):

Back above Broadway, doors opened to a disproportionate number of tall, willowy women with flawless skin and a blasé, “I-just-have-more-fun-without-it” attitude toward alcohol.

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Awful awful people.  Joyless.

The Uplift Project -

Combining ancient wisdom with modern knowledge to create transformative experiences that REVITALIZE and restore BALANCE.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

Fucking insufferable.  Don't drink. Shut up.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

We could send Luca Brasi to visit them.  :)

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

What else would they have to do to make it an unhappy hour?

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

What else would they have to do to make it an unhappy hour?

They could do public readings of their recent essays.  That would make for some electric moments.

"Unhappy hour?"  I'd call it an excruciating hour.

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

That Uplift Project link leads to lots of snowy Saturday hateful content.

Why We Exist

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

This all fits so perfectly with the book I'm working on right now, about what grownups nonmillennials should do to be better managers of millennials. Starting with: don't go by the stereotypes of what millennials are like. Which is exactly what this stuff reinforces.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:01 AM

What's the point of Happy Hour if there's no alcohol? That's just an hour. No different from any other hour.

Future Legacy Participant.

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

It's all "attitude adjustment."

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table