#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:19 AM

just the stuff, not the business.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:53 AM

Have any of you been to La Tour d'Argent this century?

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:57 AM

I think some fairly old skool friends of mine have.

I believe they had the duck.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

my father and brother went a few years ago and loved it. I don't think they thought the food was particularly great.

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:54 AM

My dad went when he was a teenager (with his family, or at least his father) and had the pressed duck. His thought was, "I could have had roast duck from Chinatown (in Bangkok) and I would have been more satisfied."  :D

He wasn't impressed, but he saved the certificate for many years. It may still be somewhere in our house for all I know.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,218 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

My friends thought the duck was great -- as they thought the other hundreds of ducks they'd had there were.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,037 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

Have any of you been to La Tour d'Argent this century?

I was there in 2000.  The duck was very good.  The view of the Eiffel Tower was special.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#8 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

I will simply note for fans of formal French cuisine traditionnelle, that before you even get to the Entrees ou Poissons ou Canetons sur la carte de la Tour d'Argent, at this very moment you are tempted with two Hors d'Oeuvres options and one Potage as follows :

- Goose foie gras for forty-five

- "Locavore" caviar for one-forty-five

- Veggie "broth" for eighty-four, but they do seem to be tossing in some truffled langoustine

I looked everywhere on the dinner menu and I still could not turn up a single turnip ... although you can start with a bucket of veggies in the high seventies.

That said, for their cheapo lunch aimed at proles, tis true that they do seem to enjoy playing boule with their navets when they filet that canette. And to appease the proles and make them feel totally at home, pied de porc is plopped into a veggie velouté entrée.

Finally I will point out that this storied establishment does NOT offer "Desserts". That said, they do offer " Entremets & Douceurs ". Like pronto, Suzanne !

The view of the Eiffel Tower was special.

Hollywood - La vue de la Tour Eiffel ? ou la vue (des deux tours) de Notre-Dame ?

There is one and only one table in that resto that has a view of the Eiffel Tower.

If you were seated there, hollywood, you were getting the serious Hollywood treatment.

Hey Chambo, you seem like such an authority on La Tour d'Argent ! Have you eaten there recently ? Planning on returning soon ?

Recently - hell no !

Returning - maybe, if you're paying.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,230 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

Chang instagramming dishes from Momfuku Nishi: cace e pepi with double black truffle. Reserve white sturgeon caviar with tofu.

#10 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Chang instagramming dishes from Momfuku Nishi: cace e pepi with double black truffle. Reserve white sturgeon caviar with tofu.

I should add, to everything about oily fish and vegetables, that I wouldn't be shocked to see the cool kid chef crew looking towards classic French cuisine more in the next few years. They're talking about a lot recently in a kind of half hedonistic/half ironic way.

Eta: as always, there's a lot of fad and fashion with these guys.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,037 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

No, Chambo, i did not sit at the table with the tower view, but I walked over to the window to see it.  It was brightly lit in celebration of the new millennium.

eta: on another occasion, in another year, I did eat a meal with a view of the tower at Morot Gaudry.  I'm not sure if that establishment still exists.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#12 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

Can't wait to travel to Paris for their repurposed kitchen waste menu. The French do luxury dining right.

Man about town.

#13 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

Can't wait to travel to Paris for their repurposed kitchen waste menu. The French do luxury dining right.

A couple of months ago, at a hot new spot, my 40€ main course plate was garnished with cilantro stems.   I don't mind clever repurposed parts that are edible and delicious, like several purees and bouillons we enjoyed, but inedible stems don't amuse me.   (Then I saw almost exactly the same plate in the Noma cookbook.  It still feels like a "gotcha" to me.)

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Chambo: but do they list them as "entrements"? No, I thought not.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,961 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:39 AM

Eta: as always, there's a lot of fad and fashion with these guys.

My trendometer says these guys are, themselves, starting to go out of fashion. 

But not as quickly as https://www.google.c...=michelin guide

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns