MF Old

#138 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

You just have to give the Gods of Travel bigger offerings if you want them to work closer to home.

Suggestions welcome. I could burn an old passport. Or a neck pillow.

#139 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:42 PM

So you're the one who makes it fun.

Guilty.

#140 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

I don't think Orik is telling us not to eat in Chinatown.  I think he's telling us not to worry about letters.

What do you when traveling in the Third World?  Not eat at all?

I think I understand what he's saying.  What I'm saying about my eating habits is that no matter the "grade," I try to make it a little bit safer to eat - for me.

I have no problem eating off certain street carts in Chinatown; there's a great barbecue skewer cart on Grand at Christie practically every night that I really like and which Significant Eater will not touch. And there's this lady, who happens to set up right outside Wu's when the conditions are right. Her chow fun with fish balls is my fave...

45892197701_38aa27d15b.jpg

#141 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

I don't think Orik is telling us not to eat in Chinatown. I think he's telling us not to worry about letters.

What do you when traveling in the Third World? Not eat at all?

I have different rules for different situations. I thought nothing of eating horseshoe crab eggs wrapped in a banana leaf from a street vendor in a town north of Bangkok (I forget the name of it). The gods of travel protect me. But I don’t think their powers work closer to home.

And I sort of knew those snails in some stall off Sukhumvit were a bad idea, and the gods of medicine agreed with a healthy dose of antibiotics.  :D

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#142 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

The worst case of food poisoning I ever had was from a Caesar salad in Newport, RI. So. That.

#143 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

A very good dinner last night at Wu's.

Pair of excellently cooked lobsters ($50), a big enough steamed black bass for the table of 6 ($50), snow pea shoots with crab, chicken/shrimp fried rice, Singapore noodles, tofu with mushrooms, their "famous" garlic chicken (better last night than the last few times I've had it), bone soup with dumplings, roast pork (which were actually spareribs), some beef dish, and maybe one or two things I'm forgetting.

Surprise - $54/pp all in. The kitchen was operating at a high level last night. Lots of birthday tables, which proved if they turn down the lights to sing happy birthday, you can still see everything!

#144 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Aside from home, it's the only place I can afford to eat these days - never a bad meal in my experiences there.