143 replies to this topic

#16 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

A recent dinner at Wu's was very good. My favorite dishes were the char siu, wonton soup and garlic chicken. I'd like to explore more of the menu.

Joe, how did you get three types of dumpling in your soup? Mine only came with one type (pork and shrimp).

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

A recent dinner at Wu's was very good. My favorite dishes were the char siu, wonton soup and garlic chicken. I'd like to explore more of the menu.

Joe, how did you get three types of dumpling in your soup? Mine only came with one type (pork and shrimp).

I think a lot of the soups are only available at lunch (or maybe if they're not crazy busy at dinner?). 

5. Three Flavored Dumpling with Bone Soup (Lunch) 
骨汤净三色饺 7.29

#18 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think that was on the dinner menu. We had the soup called something like "New York No. 1 wonton soup".

I meant to ask about the chicken with ginger and garlic that you said Danny Bowien likes. Is that just on the lunch menu also? The garlic chicken we had is deep-fried with no ginger. They had a "sand chicken with ginger" on the dinner menu but our waiter said it was just breast meat and wasn't so positive about it.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

I think it's neither of those, but just this on their roasted meats menu:

Steamed Chicken 
Half $12.99 / Whole $21.99 (S) 12.99 (L) 21.99

and then they served it with that awesome ginger scallion sauce.

The soups (bone broths) are only lunch menu items. And I'm pretty sure most of those roasted meat items are gone by dinner, except for duck and pork. The whole suckling pig that you can pre order for $169 looks great, and for 10 or so people with a bunch of other items, would make for a great MFF dinner!

#20 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks again. Will try that chicken next time. They had a partial suckling pig hanging in the window that they seemed to be chopping up into smaller portions but we only noticed it on the way out.

#21 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone tried the [dry] noodle dishes here?

I note there are 'pan fried' and 'stir fried' noodle dishes on the menu here.  At many [Cantonese?] Chinatown restaurants, 'pan fried' noodles are the deep-fried, birds nest sort, but when I Googled images for the Chinese characters here '牛肉炒面', I got the non-deep-fried noodles [akin to lo mein].

Mmm, Googling the 'stir fried' noodles' characters ['豉油皇炒麵'], I get the very thin sort of noodle.

Edited: when you translate the characters, you get 'chow mein' as the noodle type. :P

#22 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

I haven't yet, but will look into them the next time I'm there.  Significant Eater enjoys their Singapore style noodles.

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,228 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I ate here over the hols on the advice of this thread. Very good, enjoyed it a lot.  Roast pork, #1 Wonton Soup, Salt and Pepper Shirmp (or the house special version), veal chops, friend anchovy w green pepper (can remember the name, but its on the wall).

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

I really think it's the best restaurant of this style (Cantonese? Hong Kong? whatever?) in Manhattan.

And certainly a step above most of the places in Manhattan Ctown, in use of ingredients and quality of prep. And - it's kinda clean!

#25 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Yes, for all these reasons and more*, I'm rather excited about this place [I go out to Flushing once a decade].  I may dine there tonight.

* Jah, jah, the wines that show up in the Instagram photos probably aren't on their list.

Edited: celebrate the moments of your life!

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

I wish they stayed open later than 10 PM.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Yes, for all these reasons and more*, I'm rather excited about this place [I go out to Flushing once a decade].  I may dine there tonight.

* Jah, jah, the wines that show up in the Instagram photos probably aren't on their list.

Edited: celebrate the moments of your life!

I wonder if that's the small ($7) or the large ($38) wine listed on their drinks list?

I really have to start bringing wines. The other night ( I think the night after it snowed, when it was like -10℉), we had dinner there, and it was emptier than I'd ever seen it. But there was a table of 6 or 7 adults in the corner, and they were totally smashed, standing up and offering toasts to each other.  One guy had a bottle of brandy in front of him - and he didn't look like he was sharing! 

#28 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Edited: looks like we're back in business. :wub:

#29 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Do you think Wu's provides the appropriate stemware when you order the 'large' Salon and Romanée-St-Vivant? :D

#30 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,485 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

It really looks like they provide some sort of stemware, as that table I mentioned above was drinking out of what appeared to be real red wine glasses. Or real cheap red wine glasses anyway.