143 replies to this topic

#31 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Went here frequently for a while, and ate very well, but then my last three meals were disappointments. The quality of execution of the dishes suffers greatly at busy times. The service can vary a lot, too. There are two kinds of stemware. One is fine, the other is terrible.

#32 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

It really looks like they provide some sort of stemware, as that table I mentioned above was drinking out of what appeared to be real red wine glasses. Or real cheap red wine glasses anyway.

True wine geeks bring their own glasses.

#33 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

Went here frequently for a while, and ate very well, but then my last three meals were disappointments. The quality of execution of the dishes suffers greatly at busy times. The service can vary a lot, too. There are two kinds of stemware. One is fine, the other is terrible.

Sometimes, the place is so crowded that you can't even get in the front door. We just don't even try at those times. Sunday evenings are insane, but 3 -4 o'clock in the afternoon works.

Funny that Mission Chinese is sometimes easier to get into now.  But our last meal there (maybe a week or two ago) was just not the same as before Angela left. Hopefully, it will get back on track.

Nom Wah Tu is a fallback for us, if it must be Chinese food.  But then again, there's Bacaro and Katja for additional fallback. 

#34 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Nom Wah Tu is a fallback for us, if it must be Chinese food.  But then again, there's Bacaro and Katja for additional fallback. 

I need to try all of these. What do you like to order at Katja and at Nom Wah Tu?

#35 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

At Katja, this is the time for duck - either confit legs (if they're on the menu), or breast. The schnitzel (pork) is good, and Significant Eater will often order the non-kale salad with chicken schnitzel atop.  All the sausages are quite good, and they do a sausage sampler at $20pp, for 2 or more people. Every beer has the glass it's meant to be drunk out of, which is nice.  When I'm being virtuous, I'll have the house smoked (hot) salmon; when she's being virtuous, often the spaetzle, light on the cheese. The Katja's rueben is insanely rich, I can never finish more than half.

AT Nom Wah Tu, I think he does a great job with dumplings, and the chicken nuggets are, or were, famous. Small, limited menu, however.

#36 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the tips. The sausage sampler looks great on Instagram. I've been meaning to try the Nom Wah Tea Parlor, too, if only for the atmosphere.

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:38 AM

I went to Nom Wah Tu and thought there was just no there there.  What did I miss?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

I went to Nom Wah Tu and thought there was just no there there.  What did I miss?

It's a fallback, like 3rd or 4th choice in the immediate vicinity.  And, said above (though I think there are only 2 or 3 different dumplings on the menu):

AT Nom Wah Tu, I think he does a great job with dumplings, and the chicken nuggets are, or were, famous. Small, limited menu, however. 

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

Total knockout meal here.

It confirmed to me that Cantonese is really my favorite Chinese regional cuisine.  I love the layers of flavor of Sichuan, and the heartiness of Hunanese (spicy division) and Shanghainese (non-spicy division).  But the delicate flavors and letter-perfect preparations of well-done Cantonese are like home to me.

There was a roast suckling pig that was beyond praise.  But what were best were two shrimp dishes (made from different parts of the same bunch of shrimps).  The heads were fried (or salt-baked?).  Great.  But even better were the rest of the shrimps, served raw (with soy sauce and wasabi:  maybe perhaps not completely Cantonese?).  Spectacular.  The shrimpy flavor was both delicate and rich.

Those were the standouts.  But nothing, I thought, wasn't at least very good.  (I'll leave it to Steve R to talk about the wonderful chicken dish.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Those were the best raw shrimp that I've tasted. The fact that they were swimming in the tank, mere minutes before we had them for dinner, might've had something to do with both their texture and flavor. The fried heads were fabulous.

I also thought the simply steamed (ginger, scallion, soy, wine) striped bass was great; once again, it was swimming in its tank right before we ate it. 

The suckling pig was, well, the suckling pig (I like it as an appetizer, and they serve everyone at the table a portion in a steamed bun to start, and then pile the additional onto a platter - ours would've fed a dozen people easily).  But you could really make a meal here out of some fine seafood, though you won't be paying standard Chinatown prices - those shrimp were $45 a pound.

42384935781_98d2a88a29_z.jpg

40576605890_56eebd9a45.jpg

#41 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

First of all, let me say that I love the fact that places like this exist; that is, a clean well lit room with nice tableware, good friendly service, serving very nice moderately priced (compared to other places of the same type food, but low priced compared to other places of other type foods of similar quality) fare.  In other words, it makes my list of "under $100pp" good food.  Being BYOB helps considerably.

At any rate, I really enjoyed the food.  Straightforward, letting the food taste as it should without interference from overly creative chefs or, for that matter, bad cooks.  The pig was excellent, although "joe" and I bemoaned the fact that we didn't get any of the innards, or the head (including ears or snout) or feet -- in other words, not really a whole pig was served.  However, the pig was more than large enough, and meaty enough, to be well worth the price and served more than the 8 of us.  I don't think I could ask for more than we received on this dish.  Even with me pigging out (bad pun intended) throughout the meal, there were leftovers.  My second favorite dish were the perfectly done fried shrimp heads.  Never had this before and they are great snacking food.  I noticed that almost everyone liked the jellyfish app. -- even Ginny.  That must say something.  Nicely done, to make this so that I liked it without repulsing her.   The chicken dish, a half chicken expertly fried without grease with a crunchy garlic crust, was very good.  Finding a good chicken dish at a Chinese restaurant is not hard for me, and this one would be a consideration for reordering next time.  I'd also like to try their poached chicken w/black fungus & ginger, so it may have to wait.

I wasn't in the mood for fish, but everyone loved the fresh fish simply served.  Same with the shrimp sashimi.  I thought the snow pea leaves w/crab in an egg sauce was a perfect version of this cooking style but I'd prefer simply done greens with a hoisin sauce or garlic instead next time.  The tofu w/mushrooms was very good.

All in all, I'd consider this a destination dinner place to recommend.  Especially since the F train is right outside the door (E. Broadway stop) and got us there and home in 15 minutes (2 stops to Bklyn's Jay St station).  

This space available… contact owner.

#42 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

I love this place -- for the food, the convenience of the F train and the proximity to Metrograph.

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

I like their pea greens with dried scallops, and yes that jellyfish dish is excellent. They do fry things magnificently although we were scratching our heads when a family nearby ordered a fried king crab.

I actually didn't particularly like the pig when we had it - the presentation is dramatic but I prefer for it to be either more suckling or less suckling, and not cold. Last time we were only three so we took their three meat plate, which I thought was nicer. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#44 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

I agree with you about the pig.  Maybe it's a weanling, but basically the buns are enough for me as an app, along with one or two extra pieces.  

But I took home the scant piggy leftovers, made some rice, heated them up in the Cuisinart toaster oven, and then they shined!

#45 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Since I actually ate at this place, it's difficult to write about.

The food was excellent, especially the fish and the chicken. The steamed Striped Bass was my favorite.

The pig presentation was dramatic, but it just lacked a flavor punch. Maybe being cold had something to do with it. Guess that puts me in the Joe and Orik camp about the pig.

Would go back in a minute, but would avoid the whole pig thingy - so many other things to try.