143 replies to this topic

#121 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

I walk around Chinatown a lot, and C ratings are few and far between. So it can’t be all that difficult to avoid one.

If you're looking for safe food (in the DOH sense) then the best advice is not to eat in Chinatown. Whether a place goes through the song and dance to cheat their way out of a C or not, the risk is the same. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#122 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

I’m looking for a restaurant that has figured out how to be a restaurant. I’m also not cynical enough to believe that the only way to avoid a C is through bribery.

#123 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:07 PM

It's not just through bribery. 

The usual way is the restaurant gets a "grade pending", goes to admin court and pays "not a bribe" and then knows when it is getting reinspected, so all of a sudden there are notes with times and temperature on everything, the inspector is shown something being thrown away as it is past its 2 hours, the nice looking but unapproved surfaces are replaced with approved ones, etc. 

Tim Ho Wan, for example, got a C for violations of being a dim sum restaurant. Then it went and asked for a grade pending and just a couple of weeks later it was suddenly no longer a dim sum restaurant, and got an A. Now, you may not know this, but the DOH internally keeps track of "true As" who they usually won't inspect for a year, and "fake As" (eta: this isn't some conspiratorial claim, prior head of the DOH told me so), who they're going to reinspect as if they were Bs, so in 3-6 months THW is going to have to repeat this unless they end up finding a magical way to be and not be a dim sum restaurant. 

Bribery is a less usual way, but for example I recently walked into a kitchen that has never, not once, been cleaned in five years. It was all old grease everywhere, the fridge was way too hot, and still somehow got an A multiple times during those five years with not a single comment relating to cleanliness. I can not explain that any other way than bribery since I know the same inspector who was there was at a neighboring shop and gave them hours of grief.

#124 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:31 PM

This is from the old days:

http://archives.newy...08-19#folio=CV1

#125 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

I walk around Chinatown a lot, and C ratings are few and far between. So it can’t be all that difficult to avoid one.

If you're looking for safe food (in the DOH sense) then the best advice is not to eat in Chinatown. Whether a place goes through the song and dance to cheat their way out of a C or not, the risk is the same. 

I somewhat agree with this advice.  I often get a bit of stomach distress (that's enough info) from roast meat dishes over rice, but usually not from stir-fried or other stuff cooked to order.

Now, while it may be the rice, I tend to think it's the chopping block or the roast meat itself, either of which might not be 100% sanitary. Thus, by ordering "right," I can do pretty well. The problem is, however, that I really enjoy roast pig, duck, etc.

#126 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

I don't think Orik is telling us not to eat in Chinatown.  I think he's telling us not to worry about letters.

What do you when traveling in the Third World?  Not eat at all?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#127 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

It's the 4th and 5th worlds that worry me.

#128 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

I also think that Orik is suggesting that for certain types of Chinatown foods (dim sum, "BBQ" roasts), it would be impossible for restaurants serving them in any sort of traditional manner to comply with DOH requirements.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#129 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,023 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:18 PM

Per Se got a C in 2014.  Or you can walk around Washington Heights or the South Bronx and see the grimiest store-front taco and pastelito places proudly displaying their As.

I trust my eyes more than the letters.

#130 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:02 PM

I don't think Orik is telling us not to eat in Chinatown. I think he's telling us not to worry about letters.

What do you when traveling in the Third World? Not eat at all?

I have different rules for different situations. I thought nothing of eating horseshoe crab eggs wrapped in a banana leaf from a street vendor in a town north of Bangkok (I forget the name of it). The gods of travel protect me. But I don’t think their powers work closer to home.

#131 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:08 PM

OK OK.  I should have said "so-called Third World".

Bar Loser

MF Old

#132 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

Anyway, I probably shouldn’t have admitted to caring about C grades, ‘cause I knew I would get jumped on. My bad.

#133 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

Um, it's no fun talking if we all agree.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#134 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:37 PM

You just have to give the Gods of Travel bigger offerings if you want them to work closer to home.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#135 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

Um, it's no fun talking if we all agree.

You DO all agree. Except me. I disagree.