8 replies to this topic

#1 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Next time I go to Cuba I may fly via Cancun, and if I do, I'd like to stop for 2-3 nights on the way back. I prefer not to spend too much time getting there, and the quieter, the better. Good places to photograph a bonus.

It looks like Puerto Morelos might be a good candidate. Thoughts?

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

The public beach is sort of rocky, and there's little to do, but it's not bad for a couple of nights and of course very easy to go to Playa, Akumal, Tulum, etc. 

These days I'd recommend Holbox, but it's a 3+ hours trip from the airport. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

Ooh, Holbox looks amazing. If I can make the flight times and ground transportation work, I'll seriously consider it. Thanks!

BlondieNY.com

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

Please consider it, it's a beautiful place even if it's not facing the Caribbean. It's starting to get overrun during whale shark season, but that's not until July-ish. There are some local bus companies that probably don't post their schedules (I think it's the same folks who run the ferry services), but recently I think ADO has started service from Cancun. Might be best if you can figure out semi-private transportation though.

People also say good things about El Cuyo, but I haven't been yet and you'd need a car for sure.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,585 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

I have spent some time in isla mujeres which is a small 3 mile island reached via a 20 or 30 minute ferry ride away from cancun.

It's super relaxed, you rent a golf cart and can explore the island. Have lunch or dinner in people's houses, chez lumita for example.

It's where they film the corona commercials. The water is crystal clear and you can walk out maybe 100 yards and the water is about knee high.

We were staying in cancun one year as I had free Hyatt points and free airfare and took a last minute family vacation.

We ended up not returning to our cancun hotel room for 5 days after discovering the island on a day trip, kept the golf cart, rented a room right on the beach and bought new clothes.

Anyway, it's just a place to do nothing, it's super cheap and super chill
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, I had Isla Mujeres under consideration as a fallback for Puerto Morelos, but Holbox seems closer to what I was imagining.

In fact, I'm half-considering going to Holbox for a week or so, and delaying Cuba until later, in which case I could probably add a few days in Isla Mujeres too.

BlondieNY.com

#7 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Well, Cuba is booked, and I'm insanely excited because I booked it to coincide with both Obama's visit (don't want to hear anything political because the Cuban people are ecstatic about it) and a free Rolling Stones concert.

The bad news is that now I have to find 3 nights accommodation somewhere near Cancun during what seems to be the end of spring break (4/1-4/4). Although I love the idea of Holbox and El Cuyo, I think I'm going to make them the centerpiece of a few weeks to a month in the Yucatan in the future. Am I fucked, or are there areas that are more likely to have availability? 

I also need an overnight close to Cancun airport between my JFK-CUN and CUN-HAV flights. I have to be there early before the Havana leg to sort out my visa. With all the gifts I'm bringing for friends (2 big suitcases full) I want it to be as easy and close as possible. Thoughts?

BlondieNY.com

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

Busy time, but there's still plenty available (none of our places, unfortunately). Look at airbnb etc. 

#9 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Is there anywhere whatsoever to eat in Cancun?