3 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,968 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

it's looking likely that i will be in london for a few days in mid-april. will probably have four or five meals to myself. i'm interested in eating at least a couple of good indian meals. can anyone tell me which the most highly-regarded places are these days? vineet bhatia? benares? anything new?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Everybody likes Gymkhana, by the people who did Trishna. But more anglo-indian than Indian, and I didn't really like it. (Now a few years old)

The more recent place is Hoppers which is  Sri Lankan in Soho. But not very high end.

#3 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

I didn't love Gymkhana either for what it's worth.  Good but not stellar.  I prefer Trishna, that would probably be my recommendation for best high-end Indian in London right now.  I really liked Quilon but haven't been in a few years now (more a reflection of how often I want to go for high-end Indian than anything else).

Hoppers is very good but as balex says its a different, more casual, category.  It's also insanely popular and no reservations so make sure to visit off-peak.

Some other ideas on new places to try: 

110 de Taillevent is great, much better than I expected.  110 wines by the glass (lots of interesting stuff) and the food is excellent, very well executed high-end French brasserie.  And a lovely room.

Noble Rot is another wine focussed place. Kitchen overseen by Stephen Harris of The Sportsman.  Best bread course I've ever had (Hedone sourdough and the same focaccia and soda bread as The Sportsman).  Some very good dishes but execution overall not as good as Taillevent.  Interesting wines by the glass (if not as extensive as Taillevent) and a cool place.

Not new, but I had a very good meal at Fera last month.  On that showing I'd put it comfortably in the top 5 restaurants in the city.

#4 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

Personally, I've found the game dishes, goat methi keema with bheja, and ras malai at Gymkhana to be very good. My husband and I like it for lunch. We went twice in December. You can walk in and sit at the bar downstairs without a reservation, usually without difficulty at lunchtime.

Moro is a restaurant I try to go to whenever we're back in London. They have a pleasant bar.

40 Maltby Street is excellent and would be good for eating solo as all the seating is on bar stools. If you'll be in London on a Saturday, you could have lunch there and check out the Spa Terminus market beforehand.

The restaurant upstairs at Antidote Wine Bar is very good - it's the sister restaurant to Hedone but not as expensive (although Hedone seems to have a cheaper lunch menu).

The Sportsman at Seasalter doesn't take very long to get to on a train (with a short taxi ride from Faversham) if you feel like an adventure. You pre-arrange the tasting menu.

I haven't eaten at the restaurant in Bonham's (only open at lunch or at dinner on Thursdays) but would like to.

(Marina O'Loughlin in the Guardian is fairly reliable and London Eater is a useful blog that also has a good Instagram.)