Photo

missing icloud back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

so my ipad and iphone are supposed to backup automatically every night, i double check at least once a week that the back ups are current and always check that there's a backup before doing any iOS update. a couple of days ago i updated the iOS and went on living my life. the next day my ipad screen started acting up, so today i stop in to the apple store and let a genius check it out. he says the display is shot and they will replace the ipad free of charge. woo hoo. he asks if i back up, i say yes. we go to settings and last back up shows as never. then we check my iphone and it also shows as never. we grab a laptop and i sign into icloud and over 50 gigs of photo backups have vanished even though photos in the settings of the iphone show a back up less than an hour before. 

apple is now looking for my back ups on their server and are supposed to call me back this evening. almost 10 years of backed up photos are missing. argggh. blog stuff, vacations, photos of the Noodle. what a hassle. i pay for that storage. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

you seem to have extraordinarily bad luck with consumer electronics and services.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

you seem to have extraordinarily bad luck with consumer electronics and services.

you think?

anyway, some of the backup has reappeared and apple is looking for the rest of it. or maybe it's guvmint agencies mucking about with my electronics

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:45 PM

so Apple says they are seeing this missing backup problem with the new iOS update 9.2.1. sigh

~Jack Handey

#5 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

I know it won't help right now, but I suggest also backing up your photos on Amazon Cloud or Dropbox. I did it after a friend had her phone stolen and the thief maliciously went about hacking her phone and deleting everything.

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Maybe we can send Splinky to tour North Korea's nuclear facilities.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Ditto to Evelyn. I back up to google drive, dropbox, and I think OneDrive, too. And that's in addition to an external hard drive back up. 

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

I know it won't help right now, but I suggest also backing up your photos on Amazon Cloud or Dropbox. I did it after a friend had her phone stolen and the thief maliciously went about hacking her phone and deleting everything.

thanks. a lot of it was already backed up to my laptop and time capsule but not the last two months. just a reminder to be more diligent in the future

~Jack Handey

#9 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

Ouch, as we used to say back in my product support days, always backup your data but never use backup software.

#10 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:48 AM

Avoid the problems, get a BlackBerry Q10...or, less preferably, Classic or Priv.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

Ouch, as we used to say back in my product support days, always backup your data but never use backup software.

i still have the stuff on the ipad and the iphone and some on my laptop but how weird that it's the backup that got lost even temporarily

~Jack Handey

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:19 AM

Avoid the problems, get a BlackBerry Q10...or, less preferably, Classic or Priv.

I would have been very worried if you didn't post this.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

64 GB flash drives are under $20. Nice way to keep a tertiary backup of things like photos, etc.

#14 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Every once in a while I have that come up on my iPhone and iPad--more often on the iPad--where it says never backed up. Then it will mysteriously come back. These are fairly new--got them in November, I think it was. My first Apple products. I am not sure why they are so popular. I don't think they perform any better than the Android products I had previously. JMO

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.