36 replies to this topic

#16 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:29 AM

Isn't there a nice place in Chagrin Falls, overlooking the falls?

(I might be wrong, but I *think* my friend who lives there told me that the downtown is where they filmed "It's a Wonderful Life.")

I think I've been to most of the restaurants in Chagrin Falls. There are a few nice places to eat. :rolleyes: I love to go there to get out of downtown and spend the afternoon eating popcorn, looking in the shop windows, stopping into the hardware store to pick up duck food to feed the mallards and geese in the park.

The Gathering was filmed there, but that was ages ago with Ed Asner. It was a Christmasy film but actually It's a Wonderful Life was filmed entirely in California. I think, Bedford Falls was modelled after Seneca Falls, New York.

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#17 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:10 AM

We have much to offer in Eastern European dishes/meals. A visit to the Slavic Village neighbourhood will land you with much of these sorts of goodies. There are a handful of German restaurants, but are sort of spread around the metropolitan area. Some of these jewels can be found in the Tremont neighbourhood, the same area that Lola's is in! Sokolowski's is a Cleveland institution, but isn't really my cup of tea. The Sokolowski family are all dears and were my late Saturday night regulars when I worked in a Tremont pub, but I'm just not a cafeteria style kind of gal. But it is something I think everyone ought to check out at least once. Bobby Flay did, and made some pierogies there for a FTV show. I'm not sure, but I think Rachael Ray also featured them for her $40 a day gig.

We have some fantastic Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants. We have a very small Chinatown too.

And you should visit our Little Italy neighbourhood.

Aside from food, we Clevelanders are very proud of our museum, CMA (along with our orchestra, theatres and ball teams). It and I share the same birthday. :rolleyes: Shame on me for not having been there in ages. Or the Museum of Contemporary Art. University circle (where the museums, Severance Hall and Case Western Reserve are located -- a stone's throw from Little Italy) is a lovely place for out of town visitors.

edit to add: Contact torakris. She's a native Clevelander and visited last Summer. Somewhere in the midwest forum, over there, is a thread about her visit. Maybe that will help too?

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson

#18 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:36 AM

Robert -- thanks especially for the info on museums. I love museums. And it does sound like there are some great ethnic enclaves that offer good food.

Beans -- lots of great info. I'll PM you when I've got my dates firmed up and we can get together for lunch or dinner or drinks.

My son (middle child) is being transferred there, and probably will be there two years. He and his wife are considering buying a house, so I'm sure I'm going to be visiting as much as the dear DIL will permit. :rolleyes:

They're moving to Cleveland from Napa, so neither one of them is exactly over the moon about this. All of your good and helpful information may cheer them up a bit. And I appreciate everyone that's offered something.

But my son is kind of excited about one thing. He says that someone told him there were four or five ski areas within a couple hours' drive. I don't recall Ohio as being particularly mountainous. Is there a mountain range with which I am not familiar? Although I just drove through Ohio about a month ago, it's clear I've got a lot more to learn about this region.

The Voice of America

#19 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:25 AM

They're moving to Cleveland from Napa, so neither one of them is exactly over the moon about this.  All of your good and helpful information may cheer them up a bit.  And I appreciate it.

But my son is kind of excited about one thing.  He says that someone told him there were four or five ski areas within a couple hours' drive.  I don't recall Ohio as being particularly mountainous.  Is there a mountain range with which I am not familiar?

Yeah, Napa to Cleveland will be a bit of an adjustment. But Clevelanders enjoy the arts and eating out. I remember reading, on a Continental Air flight going somewhere I forgot, an in-flight magazine, about of all places -- our wee city. Something caught my eye that purported that per capita, Cleveland has as many restaurants in comparison to a city such as NYC. Not sure on the research or accuracy of that, but there are so many good choices out there!

The great State of oHIo is a bit stodgy and conservative on what wines are available for sale on our shelves, and are almost the most expensive in comparison to the rest of the US, but we do have some lovely restaurants with great wine lists. And some wine stores and wine bars!

The Grapevine in Cleveland Heights has been most accommodating when donating a bottle for charitable silent auctions, and are quite knowledgeable and friendly. They are eastside. There's another on the westside in Rocky River that I can't remember their name but is next door to one of my favourite supermarkets, Lake Road Market. Also on the westside, I've stopped in on Minotti's Wine & Liquor too. They are usually very helpful, though limited in selection. However I'll never forget a 1983 Beringer Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet I found in some dusty bin for about $14.00 a bottle. The wine was soooooooooooo yummy and was somehow overlooked during recent inventory process(es).

Thinking about favourite food shopping, besides Westside Market, it also reminded me of a great Italian grocer that is always a treat to visit. Gallucci's is a must. They may seem like they are ignoring you, and they are, but will gladly help you if you have a question. When they get to know you, they are the warmest and chattiest bunch! I *love* them and their store.

PM anytime you have any questions about neighbourhoods for prospective real estate shopping. ;) I grew up on the "southside" in Seven Hills, lived many years eastside in Shaker Heights, westside next to Lakewood and now very near westside (a stone's throw from downtown) in the historic Cleveland neighbourhood of Ohio City.

;) You are right, we are not very mountainous, but hilly. Here's a list of Ohio ski resorts. I've only been to Boston Mills-Brandywine during the summer for some juried arts/craftsman shows. :rolleyes: I've never skiied. Hard to believe since I was a lifelong, sometimes competing, ice skater and avid hockey fan. Winter sports are it for me.

We'll have some great fun whether is is lunch, dinner or drinks. I look forward to it!

#20 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:08 AM

CLEVELAND ROCKS!!!

</Drew Carey>

#21 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:23 AM

Don't miss the enormous Claus Oldenburg sculpture you'll see when you look out your hotel room window.

OMG. I was remembering his partner involved in the project.

It is next door to City Hall, another fine past employer of mine. In my years with the Law Department we had a Soviet intern that was a newly graduated law student and lawyer. Somehow we got him for a period of eight weeks to study the American practice of law and this was his public sector/municipal government at its finest segment of study. :rolleyes:

Poor Victor. He was here, stranded in very suburban westside Cleveland with a kind host family when the wall came down.

The next day I took him and our office polaroid, in front of that BP Building rejected sculpture and photographed him leaning on it. I gave the picture to him and he giggled the entire time. I should have taken two pictures, at least!

edit: FYI, it is a gigantic "Free" rubberstamp sculpture.

#22 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:30 AM

Don't miss the enormous Claus Oldenburg sculpture you'll see when you look out your hotel room window.

OMG. I was remembering his partner involved in the project.

do you mean Coosjie Van Bruggen?
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#23 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:37 AM

Yup.

Coosje was the part that I remembered.

#24 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

I think I've been to most of the restaurants in Chagrin Falls. There are a few nice places to eat. :rolleyes: I love to go there to get out of downtown and spend the afternoon eating popcorn, looking in the shop windows, stopping into the hardware store to pick up duck food to feed the mallards and geese in the park.

What is Chagrin Falls? A separate town? A suburb? A part of Cleveland? Would that be a nice place to live?

The Voice of America

#25 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

What is Chagrin Falls? A separate town? A suburb? A part of Cleveland? Would that be a nice place to live?

separate town, very upscale, very nice.

suburb of Cleveland, on the southeast side, adjacent to Solon. Quite Blue, as I recall
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#26 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:46 AM

I think I've been to most of the restaurants in Chagrin Falls. There are a few nice places to eat. ;) I love to go there to get out of downtown and spend the afternoon eating popcorn, looking in the shop windows, stopping into the hardware store to pick up duck food to feed the mallards and geese in the park.

separate town, very upscale, very nice. Quite Blue, as I recall.

Blue? As in 'off-color jokes'? :rolleyes:

The Voice of America

#27 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

separate town, very upscale, very nice. Quite Blue, as I recall.

Blue? As in 'off-color jokes'? ;)

Blue as in Blue town in a Red state
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#28 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:51 PM

Oh yeah.....that.

The Voice of America

#29 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hmmmmmm.

Chagrin is a burb. The "downtown" area is turn of the century storefronts filled with boutiques and good places to eat. Rick's Cafe is a homage to art deco. I like to stop in there for a draft and a large bowl of their homemade soup at their wee deco bar.

The Chagrin Falls Popcorn Shop is legendary. The store sits directly above and somewhat overhangs the actual waterfalls, as you will see -- white building on the right side of the photo.

Here's another real life pic of it: http://home.earthlin...hagrinFalls.htm

Quaint and a lovely getaway from the downtown garbagy stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love my victorian house and neighbourhood. I live with the good, the bad and the ugly, but sometimes a change in scenery is exactly what cures tolerating all of the ugly. :rolleyes:

edit to add: A very EXPENSIVE place to live, real estate wise. And a bit of a drive if one works downtown. It isn't long, just longer. And a good snow handling SUV would be in order. There are steep hills and winding roads. The eastside always gets more snow than anywhere else in Cleveland.

#30 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

edit to add:  A very EXPENSIVE place to live, real estate wise.  And a bit of a drive if one works downtown.

Yes, son will be working downtown. Very close to the City Centre, it turns out. So it appears that Chagrin Falls will be a place for them to visit, rather than live.

And Beans, thanks for posting those links to the pix. It looks quite delightful. I know I'll be checking it out when I come to visit my son and DIL.

The Voice of America